CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: preping angle iron

on 2005-10-21 15:48:35 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, John Johnson <johnatl@m...> wrote:

> How about a belt or palm sander, a metal yard stick (or a straight
> edge), and a fat Magic Marker, or, preferably, some sort of colorant
> that doesn't dry quickly.
> Sand, mark, scrape, sand high spots. Repeat ad infinitum.
>
> Regards,
> JJ

I think that if it is going to be that much trouble, I'll make a long
ways grinder and let it run in automatic.

I think that for the simple version, grinding/sanding the high spots
would get it more than 80% of the way. then schims would do the rest.

I have given thought to spot facing the bolting holes and using large
fat washers, but that would make the whole rail elevated.

Dave

> On 20-Oct-2005, at 21:43, turbulatordude wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking at mounting the gear rack on some angle iron or on the web
> > of a channel.
> >
> > The surface is very rough and I am wonding if I should d any work on
> > it, or just bolt up to to it.
> >
> > Ditto for the linear rails.
> >
> > I know there is a trick on dies to use paper to get a better seating.
> >
> > I have angled washers for the web of the channel, and I don't have a
> > machine that could cut a flat on it over the 8 foot lenght.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> > [Moderators]
> > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
> > it if you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

> > a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
> > there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
> > THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> ---
> Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2005-10-20 18:43:45 UTC preping angle iron Chris Horne 2005-10-21 07:06:13 UTC Re: preping angle iron Fred Smith 2005-10-21 07:10:34 UTC Re: preping angle iron John Johnson 2005-10-21 08:01:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preping angle iron turbulatordude 2005-10-21 15:48:35 UTC Re: preping angle iron