CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper motor torque

Posted by R Rogers
on 2005-10-25 17:15:54 UTC
LOL,

Terry,

The 150 oz-in rating is a representation of force exerted on a 1" radius from the axis of the motor shaft. Mount a 2" diameter wheel on the motor shaft and suspend 150 ounces of weight from its outermost edge, on a horizontal plane from with the axis shaft and thats the maximum torque it will hold at idle. Steppers are rated in holding torque, their torque drops dramatically as the RPM increases. This all varies with drive type, performance requirements etc, etc. but the holding torque is basically consistent regardless.

Ron Rogers
Closed loop interfaces for Mach CNC software that monitor machine position
Alerts and halts machine on position errors, Servo and stepper systems
Provides additional outputs and inputs.
PCI Parallel port cards
DB-25 Cables
Micronor MPG's
Heatsinks for drives
Special Combo pricing
www.rogersmachine.net

Tony Smith <ajsmith@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How much torque could I expect from a Type 34, 150 oz in. (2.9 volt 3.1
> amp)
> unipolar stepper running at 400 rpm using the HobbyCNC 3A chopper drive. A
> ball park figure would do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry

I'd say 150 oz in.

Tony

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.