CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hi all i m a student for you

Posted by beau korson
on 2005-10-30 14:26:53 UTC
Hi,

CNC of course stands for computer numberic control. They were first used in
traverse city michigan by a guy named john parsons in the 1950s (I think).
He needed a way to give helicoptor blades an arc so that when they spin they
push air down. This task was done by hand for a while but could not be
repeated with the same results very well. So made a machine that operated
on punch cards. Punch cards were good but if you had a long program with 50
punch cards you could spend hours inserting and removing them from the
reader. In fact people were actually hire as punch card pullers just to do
that. Those people were replaced when plcs and controllers were invented.
as far as I know the older cnc machines would run on a plc but you may want
to double check that. This was about the time good cnc code was invented.
The programmer would write the code and run it through a post processor and
processor would print our the code on punch tape. The punch tape or paper
tape would then be read into the cnc machine via a punch taper reader on the
machine. These punch tape machines were around for a long time. Now you
can buy a behind the tape reader so 3.5" disk can be used in there place.
after paper tape was phased out drip feeds, 3.5" disks, ethernet, and palm
pilots were phased in. That stuff is pretty standard on all the machines.
The one thing that is not standard is the cnc code. The cnc code is a
function which controller you use. Most controllers these days are great
but they still don't have a standard code. most code is very similar but
have subtle differences.

I suggest to you to start with a common controller like a fanuc, Yasnac, or
Mazak. These are very common and program pretty easily. Buy a book that
has the G and M code for these machines and study it. If you can find a
college that offers a course in using a machine with one of the controllers
thats even better. Before you use any automatic programming software try to
write several programs. This will get you very familar with the code. You
should also look into using canned cycles. After you feel comfortable
writing and running programs start using the programming software. Its
important to be able to write code because you may have to edit software
generated code.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction. Please don't look at
what I have written and conclude that it is the only option you have. This
was kind of the way the I learned. Its important to remember that CNC
machines are all different but once you have a good grasp of the concept you
can use almost any machine. I learned to program a cnc mill and was able
to use my programming skills to program a WEDM even though I never used a
WEDM before.

Good luck and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Martin.

>From: "shumaimshaheer" <shumaimshaheer@...>
>To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hi all i m a student for you
>Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:59:37 -0000
>
>hi everyone my name is shumaim shaheer.
>i am new for CNC machines.
>i want to learn how CNC works, and learn from your knowledge.
>please tell me from where i start to learn CNC.
>i dont know even EDM,DRO i m very new.
>

>Addresses:
>Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>timg@...
>Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
>[Moderators]
>URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
>aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if
>you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
>OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
>NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
>DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
>bill
>List Mom
>List Owner
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

shumaimshaheer 2005-10-29 20:51:52 UTC hi all i m a student for you R Rogers 2005-10-30 05:27:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hi all i m a student for you beau korson 2005-10-30 14:26:53 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hi all i m a student for you