CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: can a servo be a stepper

Posted by mikeg53549
on 2005-11-03 14:25:28 UTC
Yes, they are brushless servo motors, thank you for your help, I
have 7 Compumotor OEM 2300 servos that I really want to do something
with.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> mikeg53549 wrote:
>
> >Can I use a servo motor as a stepper motor, 8 wires to to servo.
Or
> >does anybody recommend a drive for 60 VDC servos.
> >

> What type of motor is it? With 8 wires, it may in fact be a
stepper motor.
> Then it is easy. But, it could also be a brushless servo with
hall sensors.
> You need an absolute minimum of 8 wires for these, too. (3 for
motor, 3 for
> hall signals, 2 to power the hall sensors) It generally will be
obvious
> from
> outside appearance which motors are steppers and which are
brushless.
> Does it have a cogging feel when you turn the shaft? If so, that
is most
> likely a stepper. If it turns very smoothly with little drag,it
almost
> certainly is
> not a stepper.
>
> No, you cannot connect a brushless servo motor as if it was a
stepper, the
> internal construction is totally different. Rutex has a drive for
brushless
> servos with hall sensors. You will need to also have a quadrature
encoder
> for position feedback when using that drive.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

mikeg53549 2005-11-02 19:21:12 UTC can a servo be a stepper Jon Elson 2005-11-03 10:03:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can a servo be a stepper mikeg53549 2005-11-03 14:25:28 UTC Re: can a servo be a stepper