CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can a servo be a stepper

mikeg53549 wrote:

>Can I use a servo motor as a stepper motor, 8 wires to to servo. Or
>does anybody recommend a drive for 60 VDC servos.

What type of motor is it? With 8 wires, it may in fact be a stepper motor.
Then it is easy. But, it could also be a brushless servo with hall sensors.
You need an absolute minimum of 8 wires for these, too. (3 for motor, 3 for
hall signals, 2 to power the hall sensors) It generally will be obvious
from
outside appearance which motors are steppers and which are brushless.
Does it have a cogging feel when you turn the shaft? If so, that is most
likely a stepper. If it turns very smoothly with little drag,it almost
certainly is
not a stepper.

No, you cannot connect a brushless servo motor as if it was a stepper, the
internal construction is totally different. Rutex has a drive for brushless
servos with hall sensors. You will need to also have a quadrature encoder
for position feedback when using that drive.

mikeg53549 2005-11-02 19:21:12 UTC can a servo be a stepper Jon Elson 2005-11-03 10:03:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] can a servo be a stepper mikeg53549 2005-11-03 14:25:28 UTC Re: can a servo be a stepper