CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home Shop Machinist Drawing Files

on 2005-11-20 06:42:15 UTC
Sorry guys.. I meant 6"

Carl Boudreau
612-220-8720
cboudrea@...

-----Original Message-----
From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jon Elson
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:39 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home Shop Machinist Drawing Files

Carl Boudreau (pressenter) wrote:

>Very Nice site, thanks for posting it...
>
>I was impressed with the CNC punch and the EDM tools...
>
>Which of these two technologies would you all suggest I use to cut the
>letter T out of 1/16 aluminum. The letter is 9" tall and 6' wide overall.
>The top is 1.5" wide and the trunk of the letter is 1.5" wide. It has 1",
>1/2" and 1/4" holes cut out in a pattern to make it look high tech.
>
>I'd wonder what would be quicker, the CNC punch, with the finishing work
>required to smooth the cut edges, or the EDM ? Never seeing an EDM in
>operation what is the cutting speed?

SIX FEET? I don't think you are going to find too many EDM machines in that
size. Waterjet machines are available in that size, but not real common.
CNC punches that can handle a 6' sheet will be fairly easy to find. A well-
maintained punch and tooling will make edges that need very little work, but
there will be a tiny folded-over edge on the back of the sheet.

Wire EDM is an expensive process, and likely will be way to expensive for
a one-off. Waterjet shops will be more accepting, I think, for a one-off
like this. But, the CNC punch can whip out stuff faster than either of
these
by a large margin. If the letter is really 9" x 6" in size, the CNC
punch can
do this letter in a matter of seconds. Waterjet would take a minute or so,
doing the pierce-through and then cutting the letter. EDM would take much
longer, although aluminum should go faster than some materials. it
might take
a half hour on a late-model machine. I don't know if EDM is commonly used
on aluminum, I'm more familiar with seeing it done on hard steels.

Laser is another technology, but it takes a BIG laser to cut aluminum, and
all laser cutting is expensive due to machine cost and consumables.

Jon

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.