CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New regulations in the EC

Posted by caudlet
on 2005-11-25 07:34:34 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Jeffree" <tony@j...> wrote:

> Hot on the heels of the "CE" marking scheme (somewhat analogous to
> the USA's FCC in terms of the requirements it places on
> susceptibility to/generation of EMI), as of 1 July next year it will
> be illegal to "put onto the market" (i.e., manufacture & put in the
> distribution chain within the European Community) products that do
> not comply with the RoHS directives that relate to the (non-) use of
> supposedly hazardous chemicals in electronic/electrical equipment.
> The main consequence of this legislation that is of interest to the
> CNC fraternity is that lead-bearing solder is one of the materials
> that will be verboten, not only for soldering components together,
> but also for "tinning" the legs of components in manufacture, etc.
>
> Consequently, my guess is that many (most?) of the familiar
> electronic devices that get talked about in the various CNC-related
> fora will fall outside the new regulations.
>
> Any comments? Is this going to be a problem for us Europeans that
> want to continue building CNC machinery, or have the US-based
> suppliers already got their act together on this? Is the EC a big
> enough market to make it worthwhile making the effort?
>
> I have to declare a personal interest, as I manufacture an indexing
> device that currently isn't compliant with the new regs, and I am
> looking at the implications (if I'm lucky it could be just a change
> in manufacturing process, but if I can't source compliant components,
> I could be facing a re-design).
>
> Regards,
> Tony

A lot of the new componets have already started to comply with the
standards but unless your electronics are 100% of the new type then
you would fall outside the specs. In addition often it falls upon the
manufacturer to get the testing and certifications BEFORE you attempt
to sell the products. US mfgs are moving forward with the new no-lead
standards but you have to realize there are millions of pieces of
electronics in the distribution or stored in a warehouse that do not
meet the standards. In my opinion the European market set too short a
time line and it will result in them having to pay higher costs and to
be deprived of certain products. I think its a way for them to impose
a tariff on technology without declaring one.

As a small mfg of electronic assemblies it is easier for us to just
refuse orders from the EU than deal with the expense and red tape of
the laws.

I don't know how they will enforce or handle direct sales to
individuals in the EU. I guess they could stop the shipment at
customs and have a lead sniffing dog alert on your product. Then an
international warrant for your arrest would be issued and you would be
punished by having to spend 30 days in France drinking cheap wine.

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2005-11-24 13:36:32 UTC New regulations in the EC caudlet 2005-11-25 07:34:34 UTC Re: New regulations in the EC Tony Jeffree 2005-11-25 09:16:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New regulations in the EC John Johnson 2005-11-27 09:51:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New regulations in the EC JanRwl@A... 2005-11-27 20:45:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New regulations in the EC