CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clarification for microstepping requirement

Posted by Andy Wander
on 2005-12-12 13:30:01 UTC
Eric:

It's not how many positions you have(in this case, every .000025"
instead of every .00025"), but rather how smoothly you get from one
position to the next. While you CAN stop in between the "full" steps,
your position will NOT be guaranteed to be so many 1/10ths of a full
step. Rather, it is that while you are traveling, going from full step
to full step, do you get there "all-at-once" or gradually(well, of
course, you DO get there gradually, but I am referring to what the drive
is telling the motor to do.

It's kind of like a dimmer on a light. If "OFF" is one full step
position, and "ON" is the next full step position, do you "switch the
lights on" or do you dim them up gradually and smoothly.

From what I understand, the dimming up, as opposed to the switching on,
can make your light bulb filaments last longer as there is less stress
imposed by a gradual change in applied voltage.

The situation with the steppers is that at certain speeds you can have
nasty resonances cause by the "switching" of the motor voltages, and
that by gradually changing the voltages(micro-stepping) you are much
less likely to have those problems.

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation