CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF?

Posted by rutexusa
on 2006-01-05 08:29:11 UTC
Chuck,

Thanks for your help. That file looks like what I'm trying to
achieve, but I will need it in DXF format to make it part of a
drawing that I can send to the company that does our water-jet work.

Thanks again.

Tom Eldredge

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Victor A. Estes"
<emc3zach@h...> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> What ver of TurboCad do you have? TurboCad Pro Ver 11.1 does
spirals
> and threaded bolts as a utility added to the program. If you want
I could
> generate the spiral for you, save it as a dxf file, then you could
import it
> into your version of TurboCad. The dxf file could also be imported
into a
> g-code generator to automatically get the code you want.
>
> You can also find AutoLISP (.lsp) files for AutoCad on the
internet that
> does Spirals and Helix's. I have those as well if interested.
>
> Victor A.

coordinates, and
> then calculate the rectangular coordinates therefrom. I think
Archimedes
> grew his spiral linearly, but there are several others...
>
> I'd be willing to help with the SS if you like.
>
> I grabbed the following from
> http://www.bookrags.com/sciences/mathematics/spiral-wom.html
>
> Spirals are classified by the mathematical relationship between the
length r
> of the radius vector, and the vector angle q, which is made with the
> positive x axis. Some of the most common include the spiral of
Archimedes,
> the logarithmic spiral, parabolic spiral, and the hyperbolic spiral.
>
> The simplest of all spirals was discovered by the ancient Greek
> mathematician Archimedes of Syracuse (287-212 BC). The spiral of
Archimedes
> conforms to the equation r = a, where r and represent the polar
coordinates
> of the point plotted as the length of the radius a, uniformly
changes. In
> this case, r is proportional to .
>
> The logarithmic, or equiangular spiral was first suggested by Rene
Descartes
> (1596-1650) in 1638. Another mathematician, Jakob Bernoulli (1654-
1705), who
> made important contributions to the subject of probability, is also
credited
> with describing significant aspects of this spiral. A logarithmic
spiral is
> defined by the equation r = e a, where e is the natural logarithmic
> constant, r and represent the polar coordinates, and a is the
length of the
> changing radius. These spirals are similar to a circle because they
cross
> their radii at a constant angle. However, unlike a circle, the
angle at
> which its points cross its radii is not a right angle. Also, these
spirals
> are different from a circle in that the length of the radii
increases, while
> in a circle, the length of the radius is constant. Examples of the
> logarithmic spiral are found throughout nature. The shell of a
Nautilus and
> the seed patterns of sunflower seeds are both in the shape of a
logarithmic
> spiral.
>
> A parabolic spiral can be represented by the mathematical equation
r2 = a2.
> This spiral discovered by Bonaventura Cavalieri (1598-1647) creates
a curve
> commonly known as a parabola. Another spiral, the hyperbolic spiral,
> conforms to the equation r = a/.
>
> Another type of curve similar to a spiral is a helix. A helix is
like a
> spiral in that it is a curve made by rotating around a point at an
> ever-increasing distance. However, unlike the two dimensional plane
curves
> of a spiral, a helix is a three dimensional space curve which lies
on the
> surface of a cylinder. Its points are such that it makes a constant
angle
> with the cross sections of the cylinder. An example of this curve
is the
> threads of a bolt.
>
> Chuck Merja
> www.3rivers.net/~chuckm/index.htm
>
> Lemelson-MIT Inventeams - http://web.mit.edu/invent/n-main.html
>
> US FIRST Robotics - http://www.usfirst.org/
> lat/long 47.52383 -111.67912
> 211 Adams Rd
> Sun River, MT 59483
> vx 406.264.5955
> cell 406.799.5955
> fax 406.264.5830

archimedean
> spiral with particular dimensions that I want to have waterjet cut
out
> of sheet metal. Then I will have a list of coordinates. I want to
> inport this list to a cadd program to do a little more editing and
> which will give me a dxf file ready to cut for the waterjet company.
>
> Does anyone know of a program/way which will allow me to take a
simple
> list of coordinates and produce a dxf file for input to a cadd
> program?
>
> Is there a better way of doing this without buying another expensive
> cadd program?
>
> Tom Eldredge

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

rutexusa 2006-01-05 06:36:56 UTC XY point list for spiral to DXF? Chuck Merja 2006-01-05 07:24:05 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] XY point list for spiral to DXF? Chuck Merja 2006-01-05 07:51:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] XY point list for spiral to DXF? Victor A. Estes 2006-01-05 08:05:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] XY point list for spiral to DXF? rutexusa 2006-01-05 08:22:55 UTC Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? rutexusa 2006-01-05 08:29:11 UTC Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Victor A. Estes 2006-01-05 08:31:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Dhiren Shah 2006-01-05 09:26:07 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Alan Marconett 2006-01-05 09:27:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] XY point list for spiral to DXF? Alan Marconett 2006-01-05 09:50:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] XY point list for spiral to DXF? Jon Elson 2006-01-05 09:52:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] XY point list for spiral to DXF? rutexusa 2006-01-05 11:20:54 UTC Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? rutexusa 2006-01-05 11:32:11 UTC Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Dhiren Shah 2006-01-05 12:45:26 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Roy J. Tellason 2006-01-05 14:08:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Jymmm 2006-01-05 14:09:04 UTC Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF? Fred Smith 2006-01-05 15:33:02 UTC Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF?