CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF?

Posted by Dhiren Shah
on 2006-01-05 09:26:07 UTC
Please, let us know, if you need help. We can generate a spiral either in
Corel Draw or Illustrator, export as DXF file and send it to you. If you can
take EPS file, we will not have to export as DXF file.

How much spacing do you need between the spirals with your inner diameter of
6 inches and the outer diameter of 20 inches?

Dhiren Shah, Dir., Operations
Solustan, Inc., 165 Chestnut St., #200, Needham, MA 02492
PH:781-449-7666, FAX: 781-449-7759
www.Solustan.com
www.LinkMotion.com

-----Original Message-----
From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of rutexusa
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:21 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: XY point list for spiral to DXF?

Victor,

My son has Turbo Pro ver 11.1. I used to know how to run it, but it
has been too long. I sat down and clicked on spirals, and I couldn't
figure how to make it do anything. It says it's for 3d spirals. The
manual was no help to me. Could I chat with you over the phone about
it? Maybe we can get it done in Turbo. For the most part we only
use Turbo in 2d. I didn't have any objects to work with. I just
need a simple spiral, starting with a 6" hole in the middle and
ending up with a "diameter" of 20". It would be like taking a rope
and coiling it up on a flat surface with each ring of the
coil "parallel" to the ring inside it. If turbo can do it, I'd like
to use it, as this design may need to change. It is for a prototype.

If you could give me your phone #, I'll be happy to call you.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Eldredge

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Victor A. Estes"
<emc3zach@h...> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> What ver of TurboCad do you have? TurboCad Pro Ver 11.1 does
spirals
> and threaded bolts as a utility added to the program. If you want
I could
> generate the spiral for you, save it as a dxf file, then you could
import it
> into your version of TurboCad. The dxf file could also be imported
into a
> g-code generator to automatically get the code you want.
>
> You can also find AutoLISP (.lsp) files for AutoCad on the
internet that
> does Spirals and Helix's. I have those as well if interested.
>
> Victor A.

coordinates, and
> then calculate the rectangular coordinates therefrom. I think
Archimedes
> grew his spiral linearly, but there are several others...
>
> I'd be willing to help with the SS if you like.
>
> I grabbed the following from
> http://www.bookrags.com/sciences/mathematics/spiral-wom.html
>
> Spirals are classified by the mathematical relationship between the
length r
> of the radius vector, and the vector angle q, which is made with the
> positive x axis. Some of the most common include the spiral of
Archimedes,
> the logarithmic spiral, parabolic spiral, and the hyperbolic spiral.
>
> The simplest of all spirals was discovered by the ancient Greek
> mathematician Archimedes of Syracuse (287-212 BC). The spiral of
Archimedes
> conforms to the equation r = a, where r and represent the polar
coordinates
> of the point plotted as the length of the radius a, uniformly
changes. In
> this case, r is proportional to .
>
> The logarithmic, or equiangular spiral was first suggested by Rene
Descartes
> (1596-1650) in 1638. Another mathematician, Jakob Bernoulli (1654-
1705), who
> made important contributions to the subject of probability, is also
credited
> with describing significant aspects of this spiral. A logarithmic
spiral is
> defined by the equation r = e a, where e is the natural logarithmic
> constant, r and represent the polar coordinates, and a is the
length of the
> changing radius. These spirals are similar to a circle because they
cross
> their radii at a constant angle. However, unlike a circle, the
angle at
> which its points cross its radii is not a right angle. Also, these
spirals
> are different from a circle in that the length of the radii
increases, while
> in a circle, the length of the radius is constant. Examples of the
> logarithmic spiral are found throughout nature. The shell of a
Nautilus and
> the seed patterns of sunflower seeds are both in the shape of a
logarithmic
> spiral.
>
> A parabolic spiral can be represented by the mathematical equation
r2 = a2.
> This spiral discovered by Bonaventura Cavalieri (1598-1647) creates
a curve
> commonly known as a parabola. Another spiral, the hyperbolic spiral,
> conforms to the equation r = a/.
>
> Another type of curve similar to a spiral is a helix. A helix is
like a
> spiral in that it is a curve made by rotating around a point at an
> ever-increasing distance. However, unlike the two dimensional plane
curves
> of a spiral, a helix is a three dimensional space curve which lies
on the
> surface of a cylinder. Its points are such that it makes a constant
angle
> with the cross sections of the cylinder. An example of this curve
is the
> threads of a bolt.
>
> Chuck Merja
> www.3rivers.net/~chuckm/index.htm
>
> Lemelson-MIT Inventeams - http://web.mit.edu/invent/n-main.html
>
> US FIRST Robotics - http://www.usfirst.org/
> lat/long 47.52383 -111.67912
> 211 Adams Rd
> Sun River, MT 59483
> vx 406.264.5955
> cell 406.799.5955
> fax 406.264.5830

archimedean
> spiral with particular dimensions that I want to have waterjet cut
out
> of sheet metal. Then I will have a list of coordinates. I want to
> inport this list to a cadd program to do a little more editing and
> which will give me a dxf file ready to cut for the waterjet company.
>
> Does anyone know of a program/way which will allow me to take a
simple
> list of coordinates and produce a dxf file for input to a cadd
> program?
>
> Is there a better way of doing this without buying another expensive
> cadd program?
>
> Tom Eldredge

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.