CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Fuses

Posted by dhaddox1
on 2006-02-08 14:00:12 UTC
I was looking at the rutex document again and I looked at the
schematic wrong lol. The fuses are shown between the power supply
and the drives not the drives and the servos. As you can tell I am
not a electrition. Thanks for the help. Good thing you guys were
here to straighten me out.
David Haddox

In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, cnc002@... wrote:

> In a message dated 2/6/2006 9:44:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> elson@... writes:
>
> Why do you feel fuses are needed?
>
> Jon
>

> Actually, Jon is correct. It is a BAD idea to put fuses between
the
> drive)s) and the motor. The drive(s) themselves should be
protected by either
> breakers or fuses but, the drive(s) usually have an over current
protection built
> in. Now, you might put a thermal overload between the drive(s)
and the
> motors and connect the overloads so that they disable the
> drive(s) if they are tripped. This is the method used (when
anything is
> used between the motor and drive) by OEMs. If you don't have a
method to
> disable / stop the drive(s) when the connection between the drive
(s) and motor is
> severed, then you have a very good chance of burning out the drive
(s)

> My recommendation would be a thermal overload set just under the
maximum
> nameplate ampere rating on the motor and connect one of the
auxiliary contacts
> of the overload in series with the coil of a magnetic starter
which would
> supply the power for the drive(s). Depending on the type of
thermal overload, the
> auxiliary contact could be normally open or normally closed. You
would
> want the contact to be closed when the overload is in normal
operating condition
> and open when the overload is tripped.
>
> I hope this helps some.
>
> Randy Abernathy
> 4626 Old Stilesboro Road
> Acworth, GA 30101
> Ph / Fax: 770-974-5295
> E-mail: cnc002@...
>
> I furnish technical support, repair, and other related services
for your
> industrial woodworking machinery. My background as Senior Service
Engineer for
> the SCMI Group for nearly fifteen years with factory training,
combines with
> my extensive background in electronics, mechanics, pneumatics,
electrical and
> CNC machinery to offer you needed support for your machinery.

dhaddox1 2006-02-05 22:56:02 UTC Fuses Les Newell 2006-02-06 07:29:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fuses Jon Elson 2006-02-06 10:21:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fuses dhaddox1 2006-02-06 16:42:05 UTC Re: Fuses Jon Elson 2006-02-06 18:39:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fuses cnc002@a... 2006-02-07 06:28:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fuses dhaddox1 2006-02-08 14:00:12 UTC Re: Fuses cnc002@a... 2006-02-08 14:07:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fuses