CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit

Posted by John Dammeyer
on 2006-04-23 21:23:52 UTC
Hi Marcus,

The best approach if you want full featured CNC for your lathe is MACH3, a
PC running at least a Gigahertz and some sort of parallel port interface
module that let's you connect to a couple of stepper motor drivers. The
drivers will need a power supply for the motors.

If all you want to do is threading at a minimal cost, at the E-Leadscrew
group we're working on an Electronic Leadscrew where the parts cost is
definitely under $150 including the micro-stepper driver for a 3Amp 55V
motor. A 10" lathe may well require a larger motor although if all you need
it for is threading then that may not be an issue. I've used it to cut both
imperial and metric threads on a 7" homebuilt Gingery Lathe. Have yet to
add the stepper motor interface to my SB Heavy 10L.

Check the group archives. Lots of folks have done this.

John Dammeyer

> Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit
>

> Hi All:
> I'm looking for a good solution for converting a Monarch
> 10EE to 2 axis
> CNC with spindle encoder for threading.
> I can do the mechanical part without difficulty...what I'm
> looking for is
> advice on motor control hardware and software.
> I'm looking for a serious industrial-grade solution
> here...I'll spend what I
> have to, to get something in the class of a Harrison Alpha or
> comparable
> machine.
> I'm thinking that means DC brush servos at least.
> I'm not interested in a big construction and scrounging
> project, so I'm
> looking for close to a turnkey retrofit as I can get without
> going the
> Omniturn route.
> (It looks like I can only buy a complete package from them,
> and I don't care
> for their mechanical implementation)
> Be aware that I have very limited electronics skills but I do
> have access to
> a genius level industrial and motion controls guy who is
> always more than
> willing to help.
> I also have access to a couple of buddies who are brilliant
> with software
> and are experienced with stepper motion control but not quite
> so well-up on
> servos.
>
> From what I've described so far, can any of you recommend a
> route to follow?
> Whom do I talk to for servomotor controllers and servo amps
> and all that
> jazz?
> Are there good packages out there with decent support?
> Any vendors lurking who want to pitch me their wares:... Fred
> Smith...Jon
> Elson...Others?
> I eagerly await any and all replies.
> Cheers
>
> Marcus

> wanliker@..., timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
> davemucha@... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com
> to reach it if you have trouble.

> this to be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the
> same members are there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed
> on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
> POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
> EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Marcus 2006-04-23 18:43:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit John Dammeyer 2006-04-23 21:23:52 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit Harko Schwartz 2006-04-24 08:37:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit Marcus 2006-04-25 08:27:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit