CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit

Posted by Marcus
on 2006-04-25 08:27:28 UTC
Hi All:
To those who responded, my thanks for your help and suggestions...I do
appreciate it.
Cheers

Marcus

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harko Schwartz" <ncmeinc@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit

>I would look at MachineMate CNC controller which if you get it without a
> custom front panel is more reasonable and is hardened for both temperature
> and vibration. Baldor makes a drive that will control brushless servo's
> that are reasonable but rock solid.
>

> Harko
>

> On 4/24/06, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> The best approach if you want full featured CNC for your lathe is MACH3,
>> PC running at least a Gigahertz and some sort of parallel port interface
>> module that let's you connect to a couple of stepper motor drivers. The
>> drivers will need a power supply for the motors.
>>
>> If all you want to do is threading at a minimal cost, at the E-Leadscrew
>> group we're working on an Electronic Leadscrew where the parts cost is
>> definitely under $150 including the micro-stepper driver for a 3Amp 55V
>> motor. A 10" lathe may well require a larger motor although if all you
>> need
>> it for is threading then that may not be an issue. I've used it to cut
>> both
>> imperial and metric threads on a 7" homebuilt Gingery Lathe. Have yet to
>> add the stepper motor interface to my SB Heavy 10L.
>>
>> Check the group archives. Lots of folks have done this.
>>
>> John Dammeyer
>>

>> > Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit
>> >

>> > Hi All:
>> > I'm looking for a good solution for converting a Monarch
>> > 10EE to 2 axis
>> > CNC with spindle encoder for threading.
>> > I can do the mechanical part without difficulty...what I'm
>> > looking for is
>> > advice on motor control hardware and software.
>> > I'm looking for a serious industrial-grade solution
>> > here...I'll spend what I
>> > have to, to get something in the class of a Harrison Alpha or
>> > comparable
>> > machine.
>> > I'm thinking that means DC brush servos at least.
>> > I'm not interested in a big construction and scrounging
>> > project, so I'm
>> > looking for close to a turnkey retrofit as I can get without
>> > going the
>> > Omniturn route.
>> > (It looks like I can only buy a complete package from them,
>> > and I don't care
>> > for their mechanical implementation)
>> > Be aware that I have very limited electronics skills but I do
>> > have access to
>> > a genius level industrial and motion controls guy who is
>> > always more than
>> > willing to help.
>> > I also have access to a couple of buddies who are brilliant
>> > with software
>> > and are experienced with stepper motion control but not quite
>> > so well-up on
>> > servos.
>> >
>> > From what I've described so far, can any of you recommend a
>> > route to follow?
>> > Whom do I talk to for servomotor controllers and servo amps
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Marcus 2006-04-23 18:43:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit John Dammeyer 2006-04-23 21:23:52 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit Harko Schwartz 2006-04-24 08:37:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit Marcus 2006-04-25 08:27:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch 10EE retrofit