CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup

Posted by Les Newell
on 2006-04-24 01:25:32 UTC
Hi Jarrett,

25' is dangerously long for a parallel cable. The chances of picking up
noise are quite high and on a large machine like this the consequences
of something going wrong are frightening. It is good to keep the power
supply and motor drives as close to the machine as possible to keep the
cables short.

My suggestion would be to extend the keyboard, mouse and monitor cables
and have the computer near the drives. As long as you use reasonably
good quality cable and don't use extremely high monitor resolution you
can ge away with quite long video leads.

Another, possibly better, alternative would be to use a Gecko G100. This
is driven over Ethernet so you can have a very long cable between the
computer and the G100 with no problems. Once Art has the majority of the
bugs nailed down it should also be more reliable than the parallel port.

Les

Jarrett & Heidi Johnson wrote:
> I'm curious as to how others have set up their
> machines.
>
> Currently I'm building a large format milling
> machine. What I'm wondering is, where do you
> people put your power supplies and BB's etc. Most
> likely the most similar machines to mine are
> plasma machines [ due to their larger size]. I've
> got a 25' parrellel port cable so, in theory, I

Jarrett & Heidi Johnson 2006-04-23 21:33:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup Les Newell 2006-04-24 01:25:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup Heidi Johnson 2006-04-24 07:53:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup caudlet 2006-04-24 08:25:57 UTC Re: Machine Setup Abby Katt 2006-04-26 09:39:11 UTC Finally got my mill drill conversion pics up. :)