CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup

Posted by Heidi Johnson
on 2006-04-24 07:53:38 UTC
Thanks Les, The G100 is in the cards for sure, I'm kinda holding out to see how this machine run's first before either jumping to servo's or..?? [not sure.. might wait for the unstallable stepper thing if this current design is good enough power wise] Is it possible to somehow shield the parrallel cable? I was wondering if wrapping it in that aluminized tape would do it or.. I can get my hands on actual copper foil [ used in making electrical cable] which I could wrap around the cable and then ground with the rest of my shielded cables? Is this a no-no or..?? I'd really hate to have to get that long of a mouse, VGA, and keyboard cable if I can help it :-) It'd be much easier to just run two [ power and parrallel].. I've already know that the easy route isn't always the best so.. I'll take the best route, but.. you know where I'm coming from..

Jarrett

> Hi Jarrett,
>
> 25' is dangerously long for a parallel cable. The chances of
> picking up
> noise are quite high and on a large machine like this the
> consequences
> of something going wrong are frightening. It is good to keep the
> power
> supply and motor drives as close to the machine as possible to
> keep the
> cables short.
>
> My suggestion would be to extend the keyboard, mouse and monitor
> cables
> and have the computer near the drives. As long as you use
> reasonably
> good quality cable and don't use extremely high monitor resolution
> you
> can ge away with quite long video leads.
>
> Another, possibly better, alternative would be to use a Gecko
> G100. This
> is driven over Ethernet so you can have a very long cable between
> the
> computer and the G100 with no problems. Once Art has the majority
> of the
> bugs nailed down it should also be more reliable than the parallel
> port.
> Les
>
> Jarrett & Heidi Johnson wrote:
> > I'm curious as to how others have set up their
> > machines.
> >
> > Currently I'm building a large format milling
> > machine. What I'm wondering is, where do you
> > people put your power supplies and BB's etc. Most
> > likely the most similar machines to mine are
> > plasma machines [ due to their larger size]. I've
> > got a 25' parrellel port cable so, in theory, I

> wanliker@..., timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
> davemucha@... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
> reach it if you have trouble.

> be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members
> are there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
> THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Jarrett & Heidi Johnson 2006-04-23 21:33:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup Les Newell 2006-04-24 01:25:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup Heidi Johnson 2006-04-24 07:53:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machine Setup caudlet 2006-04-24 08:25:57 UTC Re: Machine Setup Abby Katt 2006-04-26 09:39:11 UTC Finally got my mill drill conversion pics up. :)