CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] g-code for my touch probe

on 2006-04-26 18:01:39 UTC
Hi Graham,

NICE FIRST MILL PROJECT!

I made a digitizer probe as well, but not as fancy. I have a small
round PCB with three 2-56 screws used as contacts (ends rounded). The
probe is secured to a small disk that gets tilted away from the plane of
the three screw tips. the donut shaped (much like yours) PCB bolts down
to a Brass shell. A very small strip of spring brass secures the probe
disk against the three contacts with a little tension.

I like yours!

Some dimensions for the various parts (DXF file would be nice) would
allow most anyone to build it.

On this side of the pond many would most likely want to use imperial
measurements. I don't think you have to post the actual Gcode, just the
drawings. 1/16" or 3/32" endmills might be my choice, I'd have to look
up what I used. 2-56 screws would seem to be appropriate. Now to find
similar sized drill rod (shouldn't be hard) and small ball bearings,
0.1" might work.

I'm certain many list members would like to study your plans! Please
post them when complete!

Alan KM6VV

Graham Stabler wrote:
> Quite a few people have asked me for CAD or g-code for my touch probe:
>
> http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm
>
> And I'm afraid I fell foul to a lack of confidence when buidling it,
> because it was my first real CNC project I half expected it not to
> work and so did not do things as I should. What I have are some 2D
> sketches and some mastercam files with pocketing procedures that
> effectively hold the information about the other dimensions. The
> g-code itself was lost when a PC died.
>
> But I realized that by combining the mastercam file and the CAD I can
> create a proper drawing and I can also redo the g-code.
>
> I was wondering if anyone was interested in this and if anyone had any
> suggestions with regards to tool sizes. Obviously drills can be
> changed to match screws used etc but the tool paths need to match
> cutter sizes for milling. I used a 3mm and 1mm endmill and a 1mm PCB
> router. The material was 10mm thick and the g-code matches this also.
>
> Would this be a problem for those stateside?
>
> Graham

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2006-04-26 16:28:27 UTC g-code for my touch probe Alan Marconett 2006-04-26 18:01:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] g-code for my touch probe ballendo 2006-04-27 17:31:36 UTC Re: g-code for my touch probe Graham Stabler 2006-04-27 17:59:17 UTC Re: g-code for my touch probe