CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Getting my feet wet in CNC.

Posted by ballendo
on 2006-05-04 03:06:12 UTC
John,

That's a Sherline 4400 (extended model of their "stock" 4000 lathe)
that's underlying the MK retrofit. (I've got one across the room
from me now.)

You can read all about the lathe itself, and find LOTS of
accessories for it at www.sherline.com

Which driver set did you get? Optistep, optiphase, etc.?
All of MK's software uses their INstep motion library. I have
purchased several sets of Instep over the years and am therefore
pretty familiar with the underpinnings of your new lathes workings.
I mention this because the MK g code is a bit non-standard/old-
fashioned and incomplete compared to others now available.

It will work, and you'll be likely able to pick it up no problem;
but if you're purchasing this as a means to learn CNC g code for use
with other machines, you may want to have a look at some other
companie's 4400 sherline lathe retrofit. Including Sherline's,
IMserv's, and other listed at the Sherline website.

The core of gcode is perhaps 8 commands; but the nuances go much
further and will take your projects much farther.

There's nothing wrong with your purchase; but you may find yourself
wishing for different software to control the machine sooner than
later.

Just an opinion,

Ballendo

P.S. As for gcode itself; many books are available. I think the best
are by Michael lynch. There's a relatively new one that's very good
called CNC programming by Peter Smid which is pricey but
comprehensive. IMO Be careful of some of the older "standards" like
polywyka et al, and (I'll have to check my library and post some
titles to avoid later; brain fade)

Online resources for Gcode abound. Again look at Mike Lynch's site;
I think it's called cncconcepts.com.
Have a look at linuxcnc.org (FWIW, if you end up getting a sherline
CNC lathe FROM sherline, it will use this software.)
And also have a look at the documentation for Mach3, at
www.machsupport.com. Notonly will it cover gcode, it also tells
about things peripheral to the gcode itself, but still worth knowing.

Welcome to the world of CNC machining!

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "johnczikora"
<johnczikora@...> wrote:

> I have a lot of machining under my belt but no CNC. I am
purchasing a
> lathe for light duty cutting from microkinetics. I completely
> understand the machining process that is involve in CNC but have
not
> experience in G code. So am I in trouble? Or will I be able to
pick it
> up along the way? :) Any help or comments would be very helpful. I
have
> checked the archives and have found no information on the CNC
lathe I
> will be using which is Model 4400. Any tips or information
resources
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>

> John Czikora

Discussion Thread

johnczikora 2006-05-03 23:50:46 UTC Getting my feet wet in CNC. ballendo 2006-05-04 03:06:12 UTC Re: Getting my feet wet in CNC. Alan Marconett 2006-05-04 16:19:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Getting my feet wet in CNC.