CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Getting my feet wet in CNC.

on 2006-05-04 16:19:33 UTC
Hi John,

Start with a CAD program, better if it has a post processor for lathe.
Basically you need to describe a tool path with multiple passes that get
progressively deeper, just as in manual machine operation.

You'll probably touch off on the end of the stock (Z axis along the
ways), and then pick up the diameter of the stock to determine the
center (set the diameter or radius as needed for X).

There are some examples of simple parts over on the SherlineCNC list.
I've used Vector CAD/CAM to generate tool paths. I draw the part in X
and Y, and the post processor translates it to the X and Z axis used on
the lathe.

I believe CNC is much easier to learn on the mill. The actual Gcode is
simple; G0 for a rapid, G1 for a feed (both linear), G2 and G3 for
cutting parts of circles. Other then setting the feed rate (F), there's
not much else to know. "G20 G18 G90 F5" sets up for inch mode cutting
on the lathe.

Alan KM6VV

johnczikora wrote:
> I have a lot of machining under my belt but no CNC. I am purchasing a
> lathe for light duty cutting from microkinetics. I completely
> understand the machining process that is involve in CNC but have not
> experience in G code. So am I in trouble? Or will I be able to pick it
> up along the way? :) Any help or comments would be very helpful. I have
> checked the archives and have found no information on the CNC lathe I
> will be using which is Model 4400. Any tips or information resources
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>

> John Czikora

Discussion Thread

johnczikora 2006-05-03 23:50:46 UTC Getting my feet wet in CNC. ballendo 2006-05-04 03:06:12 UTC Re: Getting my feet wet in CNC. Alan Marconett 2006-05-04 16:19:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Getting my feet wet in CNC.