CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] transformer question (ANOTHER QUESTION)

Posted by Larry Olson
on 2006-05-07 12:37:41 UTC
I recently had someone give me a Bridgeport transformer off of a Boss
stepper machine and after looking at it I noticed it is for 3 phase
power. The diagram on the top would indicate that it is 3 separate
transformers on 1 core. My question is "can I connect 220 (single phase)
to all 3 elements in parallel on the primary side?" and also is there
any problem in doing so. I am not very familiar with transformer design
so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Olson

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Mattison [mailto:mattison20@...]
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:16 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] transformer question

Not only that, but driving 110v into a 220v primary is going to be less
efficient than if it is run at the rated voltage. The windings and the
core
are designed to be near saturation at 220/460v. You will get less power
transfer at a lower primary voltage. Without detailed performance graphs
it
would be impossible to calculate the reduction.
--
Phil Mattison
http://www.ohmikron.com/