CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

[CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla)

Posted by Phil Mattison
on 2006-05-08 09:48:24 UTC
This is very interesting and confirms what I was just about to write.

The other Dave's analysis assumes that stepping errors will be cumulative
when microstepping with the SLA7062 and switching to sync mode when paused.
I suspect that assumption is incorrect, for the following reasons. For one
thing, the SLA7062 data sheet does not say WHY it is not recommended. I
would bet the reason they say that is because they must assume that if you
are microstepping you need the extra position accuracy when holding. This
would be the worst case scenario, and semiconductor manufacturers ALWAYS
assume the worst case scenario in their specs. (I worked in the
semiconductor biz for many years). It seems very unlikely to me that
entering sync mode would get the step logic out of phase. More likely is
that the PWM current regulator is not accurate enough to hold the motor in a
position beyond a half step precision. Keeping track of steps is a logic
function, and is (or at least should be) unaffected by the PWM operation.

An easy way to put this question to rest would be to setup a mill with a
dial gage against a block, zero it, and generate series of moves and stops
in one direction with random distances, and then the sum of those moves at
once (taking into account backlash) in the other. If the dial gage returns
to zero within the tolerance of your mechanics, then the driver is not
missing steps. Dave's experience below tends to support this outcome. Maybe
I'll do this test myself when I have time, though I am pretty busy right now
filling orders for the drivers I sell. (I could have worse problems.)
--
Phil Mattison
http://www.ohmikron.com/