CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla)

Posted by ballendo
on 2006-05-08 20:33:39 UTC
Jeff,

Great post! nicely put!

Thank You,

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp" <xylotex@...>
wrote:

> Hi,
> Typically the 7062 runs each of the 2 phases asynchronously to
one
> another; each phase is "doing its own thing". The combinations of
> various PWM frequencies generates noise in the audible range, as
each
> phase is turning ON at different times. This noise (often
referred
> to as squeeling, grunting, hissing, spitting - and perhaps other
> uncouth sounds) is a combination of the two high pitched PWM
> frequencies to make a lower pitch sound.
>
> There is one place this will not happen: when only one phase is
ON
> (or alternatively when one phase is OFF). In this case (when one
> phase is OFF), there is only one PWM frequency (the one ON), and
it
> is generally above the audible range. At this point having the
PWM
> [...]
>
> The problem for steps other than 100/0 or 70.7/70.7 is that if
both
> are started synchronously (at the same time), one will reach its
turn
> OFF level sooner (less current to build up). The other phase
which
> has to build up more current will remain ON longer. Now, the one
> that turned OFF sooner would generally wait its fixed-off time,
and
> turn back ON, but if it now has to wait until the other phase is
> ready to turn ON (has reached *its* peek current and elapsed its
off-
> time), the first phase continues to loose power through decay as
it
> waits to turn back ON synchronously. This loss of power leads to
mis-
> position since it is no longer giving the correct amount of
current
> for that particular step angle.
>
> Thus, too much decay while waiting for the other phase to be ready
> turn ON synchronously --> loss of current --> mis-position.
>
> Jeff
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, John Dammeyer <johnd@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm also a bit confused by the SLA7062 data sheet. All they say
is
> that
> > noise is reduced when the unit enters sync mode. It doesn't
really
> say what
> > sync mode does.
> >
> > The way I reduce current in the ELS driver which uses LMD18245
is by
> > shifting the reference voltage from 5 volts to something like
> 1.25V. This
> > causes the motor current sensing circuits to start chopping at
> 0.75A instead
> > of 3A (when configured for full drive current).
> >
> > The side effect of this is that the motor now becomes quite a
bit
> noisier
> > since the chopping happens differently from the full power
mode.
> The
> > LMD18245 is also a 'fixed off time' chopper.
> >
> > The only other way to reduce current would be to change the
current
> through
> > the individual windings to perhaps reduce one winding to 0
current
> and the
> > other to some low level that causes less noise. However, when I
> tried that,
> > (before using the 'reducing the reference voltage' approach), I
> found the
> > motor always moved so I gave that up.
> >
> > John Dammeyer
> >

> > > Keeping track of steps
> > > is a logic
> > > function, and is (or at least should be) unaffected by the

Discussion Thread

Phil Mattison 2006-05-08 09:48:24 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) John Dammeyer 2006-05-08 10:05:59 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) Dan Mauch 2006-05-08 10:21:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) Codesuidae 2006-05-08 10:36:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) jeffalanp 2006-05-08 10:57:41 UTC Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) Alan Marconett 2006-05-08 12:17:35 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LMD18245, Gecko MULTIPLIER, and SLA7062 Sync Mode Codesuidae 2006-05-08 12:29:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) turbulatordude 2006-05-08 12:39:16 UTC Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) jeffalanp 2006-05-08 12:47:06 UTC Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) jeffalanp 2006-05-08 13:23:08 UTC Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla) John Dammeyer 2006-05-08 14:05:55 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LMD18245, Gecko MULTIPLIER, and SLA7062 Sync Mode ballendo 2006-05-08 20:28:58 UTC OT. The ULTIMATE truth of CNC wasRe: SLA7062 Sync Mode ballendo 2006-05-08 20:33:39 UTC Re: SLA7062 Sync Mode (was New Article bla bla)