CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: laser edge finder

Posted by ballendo
on 2006-05-12 03:45:23 UTC
Graham.

Catspaw is simply a piece of tubing with tapped holes in its wall
for sets of screws angling inwards towards the work.

Usually 2 sets of eitehr 3 or 4 holes. The effect is a versatile
chuck for oddly shaped parts, or just a means to accurately place
evena simple object into a known position.

Gunscope and telescope tube mounts are analogous. For that matter,
the "kleinbauer" 4bolt rail mount, taken in pairs on each rod is the
same thing. It allows easy and precise alignment of the rail in all
three axes.

Sometimes machinists say "spider" instead of "catspaw". Depends on
whether the projecting screws look like claws or legs, I suppose.<G>

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Stabler" <eexgs@...>
wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@>
wrote:

> > Graham,
> >
> > Seems they use adjusting screws, but like you I can't be sure
how
> > many. Were I to make one, I'd use 6 or 8 set up in two sets of 3
or
> > 4 and use "catspaw" lathe chuck methods to accomplish the task.
> >
> > This would be a foirly easy thing to make, but as previously
> > mentioned by another; I worry about the size of the spot, and
the
> > resulting accuracy available.
> >
> > Ballendo
> >

> That's how they usually align small lasers and some big ones
although
> I don't know what "catspaw" chuck methods are. There just seemed
> be only one set of screws.
>
> Spot size is an issue, you can certainly stop the beam down a
little
> but not a huger amount however if your beam is nice and round and
say
> 1mm in diameter then you can put it into a decent 1mm hole and only
> when centralized will you not see the beam on the edges of the
hole.
> Even so its hard to see how it can beat a wobbler which if you
ensure
> you give it time to react is as accurate as your DROs in my
experience.

> Graham

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett 2006-05-10 11:31:58 UTC laser edge finder David Speck 2006-05-11 15:58:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] laser edge finder Graham Stabler 2006-05-11 17:24:53 UTC Re: laser edge finder ballendo 2006-05-12 00:01:03 UTC Re: laser edge finder Graham Stabler 2006-05-12 03:00:24 UTC Re: laser edge finder ballendo 2006-05-12 03:45:23 UTC Re: laser edge finder wanliker@a... 2006-05-12 08:38:43 UTC laser edge finder Graham Stabler 2006-05-12 15:17:19 UTC Re: laser edge finder