CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Manual Series One 2J, RETROFIT HELP

Posted by Chuck Pool
on 2006-06-18 19:06:49 UTC
Hello John:
Thank you for your thoughts on the retrofit. It is a tough call for me. To get a CNC Series One in the room I will have to tear down a outside wall and then rip out the ceiling. What to do? Any ideas?
Chuck

John Stevenson <john@...> wrote:

> Hello everyone. I think I found a nice Bridgeport Series One manual
> vertical mill. I would like to retrofit it for CNC 4 axis. However,
> as you may know, the retrofit kits are VERY expensive. Some of these
> kits are very good. I read that the ELROD Z axis retro is good.
>
> I need help in doing a first class home brew cnc retrofit for the above
> machine. Can anyone help/advise me with this goal? Thank you for your
> kind consideration.
> Chuck Pool
> Cedar, Michigan
> aa5wg@...

Don't do it.
Look around for a genuine CNC with old or dead controller and convert that.
As you say yhe conversion kits are expensive and they will only fudge a conversion up and leave you with a poor quill drive at best

You can get a dead CNC for less money than a decent manual machine and it will have most of what you need on it, motors, ballscrews, presure oiling etc.

You will start off with a manual machine worth say 3K, throw another 3 to 4K at it to convert it and be left with a machine worth 1-1/2 to 2K tops as it a bastardised model.

John S.