CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations

Posted by Tom Harrison
on 2006-07-13 10:54:11 UTC
Wow! I am overwhelmed with the generous response, hannu.

I have discussed with Gecko the servo motors on the 3 axes of the
mill, and I will retain those. The Hoffmann rotary axis has a
Superior M112 stepper on it, which I would use with a different Gecko driver.

The remaining items are the I/O control of the pendant buttons (not
sure yet how those are all wired, but it looks like some sort of
standardized I/O card in the PC control. As I said, the outboard PLC
controls the M-code functions like spindle speed (through a VFD) and
coolant, etc., and I would need to control that PLC through Mach3.

The external I/O is the biggie, I guess. I would like to find some
way of managing that, perhaps with a custom software driver, I guess....

Tom Harrison

At 7/13/2006 10:02 AM, you wrote:

>I believe there is a consensus in the group;
>
>Mariss, the designer of gecko drives, gives probably the best technical
>support on the planet,
>and he is an all-around nice guy.
>
>His clients are (at least ) 99% extremely satisfied, and the product is
>excellent.
>
>Mach3 has LOTS of EXTREMELY satisfied users. Highly recommended.
>It's extensible, has great tutorial videos, and works very well for what
>it does.
>
>If gecko-driven servos/steppers have the power and speed you need, you
>can't go wrong, and won't regret it.
>80V ix max voltage - whats speed / power do you need or want ?
>
>This is what You need to decide;
>1. How fast do you want to go ?
>1.1 What volts ?
>2. Servos or steppers ?
>(I'm sorry, your mail didn't make it clear which way you are leaning)
>( Whats you current rapid speed ?
>3. What power supply do you have (or want) ?
>4. What resolution (mechanical) do you have (want) ?
>
>This is why...
>(1) Speed tells you the leadscrew rpm's you need.
>(4) The mechanical resolution needed (gearing) tells You the motor rpm's
>You need.
>This gives You needed motor power and type. Steppers generally max out
>at 1000 rpm,
>with the new G-rex at about 3000 rpm; in both cases usable power is
>abuot 2/3 of max speed.
>Needed rpm's gives you the needed torque in your motors, and the volts
>you need to get there.
>Power of motors gives you output (watts) that your psu needs to generate,
>and the voltage you need to get the speed you want.
>Your needed power is about 1/2 - 2/3 of max output of all motors together.
>
>General hints, advice;
>This is what most people use or agree with.
>
>gear servos about 3:1 to 4:2, steppers about 2:1 to 3:1.
>Use timing belts. Couplers are expensive and require high precision in
>setting up. Some wear out quickly.
>Use 20 to 25 times max voltage of motor for steppers (ie 2 V motor use
>40-50 volts for you psu output).
>Remember ! gecko limit is 80 volts - use max 70-75 volts.
>Back emf needs to be controlled if you have high speeds, a heavy gantry,
>or both, or are using a high voltage. (See gecko white paper, design).
>Use a breakout board (sound logic, cnc4pc etc)
>Use a safety charge pump with mach3 (cnc4pc or others).
>Use FTP ethernet for motor wiring (ie shielded). Ground all your shields
>AT ONE END ONLY, and only at one point.
>Run separate cable for power and motor signals. Separate them at least 2".
>I can't think of anything else, but lots of people here have great
>advice and some are very knowledgeable and experienced.
>Good luck.
> >
> > I am contemplating replacement of an Anilam 1400 3-axis system on an
> > Eagle 400 mill.
> >
> > The 1400 is a PC-based system, using twin two-axis motion control
> [...]

Tom Harrison 2006-07-13 09:31:51 UTC Anilam conversion hannu venermo 2006-07-13 10:02:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Anilam conversion - recommedn Geck and Mach3, general recommendations Tom Harrison 2006-07-13 10:54:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations hannu venermo 2006-07-13 12:02:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations. Get a grex ! caudlet 2006-07-13 12:35:03 UTC Re: Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations Tom Harrison 2006-07-13 23:03:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations Arturo E. Duncan 2006-07-14 09:04:31 UTC Re: Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations. Get a grex ! Tom Harrison 2006-07-14 11:05:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Anilam conversion - recommend Geck and Mach3, general recommendations. Get a grex !