CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Something Old, Something New..Upgrading An Old CNC Millrite

on 2006-07-30 11:37:04 UTC
An update....after doing some digging I find that this CNC Millrite
has 1200 oz/in STEPPERS...not servos like I thought...and they are
wired for an open loop system,

The feed rates for the machine were 0.75" to 24"/min.

The 5 pitch ACME screws are speced at 0.001".

The electronics are probably early to mid 70's.

Now if you were going to update this machine (that has had only a few
hours of usage), how would you go about it?

Would you replace the steppers? If so, what size servos and where
would you buy them?

How about the ACME screws? If so, where would you go to buy the ball
screws?

I think the electronics except for the power supplies are well worth
a replacement...any suggestions?

Any other suggestions that apply to a small knee mill update?

Thanks

TMT

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools"
<too_many_tools@...> wrote:

> Sometimes the Gods smile upon a person...I was just given a old CNC
> Millrite. ;<)
>
> So now I (or perhaps I should say my son) has a summer "project" to
> upgrade this Millrite from its old numerical controls to use the
> current technology.
>
> The mill has Acme screws on the X and Y axises.
>
> The X and Y axises and the quill are equipped with servo motors
that
> I will want to reuse in the updated electronics conversion.
>
> I do have the old numerical control electronics that were used to
> originally power the servos but will likely not reuse it except for
> the cabinet.
>
> The spindle is powered by a three phase 1Hp motor.
>
> So if this was YOUR machine, how would you go about updating it?
>
> What hardware, software, what companies would you go with?
>
> I will also add that I searched the entire archives without finding
> anything like this that has been done before so any contributions
> that you might add will provide guidance for those who are looking
> for insight in the future....and help me alot. ;<)
>
> Thanks for any contributions that you can add.
>
> TMT

Discussion Thread

too_many_tools 2006-05-19 10:19:43 UTC Something Old, Something New..Upgrading An Old CNC Millrite Dan Mauch 2006-05-19 14:13:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Something Old, Something New..Upgrading An Old CNC Millrite too_many_tools 2006-07-30 11:37:04 UTC Re: Something Old, Something New..Upgrading An Old CNC Millrite Dave Halliday 2006-07-30 16:23:27 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Something Old, Something New..Upgrading An Old CNC Millrite ballendo 2006-07-30 17:47:11 UTC Re: Something Old, Something New..Upgrading An Old CNC Millrite