CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vacuum Forming --- Was--->Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser?

Posted by lcdpublishing
on 2006-08-08 11:19:21 UTC
Thanks Graham, and also the person that responded offline. I did
reply to your email but I got a message back that it bounced.

Chris

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Stabler" <eexgs@...>
wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
> <lcdpublishing@> wrote:
> >
> > Graham,
> >
> > I have been wanting to try some vacuum forming for a while now.
Can
> > you give me a quick rundown on the process? I am planning to
make a
> > molded cover for the back of my machine (the one on the home
page).

> I'm not much of an expert, I'm only making really tiny parts. Like
> any other forming technique it comes down to the mould. It needs
> have a nice finish if you expect a nice finish (though thick
plastics
> will still have a nice finish on the other side). You need to add
> releif angles so you can get the part off etc. Lots of stuff on
the
> net about this.
>
> The plastics are normally styrene, abs and even polycarbonate
though
> the latter will tend to bubble unless you bake the moisture out of
it.

> For heat the lamp did work really well, before that I put the
plastic
> in a frame and stuck it in a little oven but I much prefer this.
The
> plastic goes through various phases, it buckles, tightens and then
> droops, you form on the droop. Positive and negative moulds are
> possible, negative is better for deep stuff, they sometimes even
suck
> and blow.
>
> A shop vac is what I use.
>
> Graham

Discussion Thread

Thomas J Powderly 2006-08-07 21:20:03 UTC Re: stepper EDM Graham Stabler 2006-08-08 02:11:07 UTC Re: stepper EDM Abby Katt 2006-08-08 03:45:09 UTC Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser? Graham Stabler 2006-08-08 04:17:42 UTC Re: Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser? lcdpublishing 2006-08-08 06:16:50 UTC Re: Vacuum Forming --- Was--->Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser? wthomas@g... 2006-08-08 07:41:24 UTC W.E.T. [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vacuum Forming --- Was--->Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser? Graham Stabler 2006-08-08 10:42:55 UTC Re: Vacuum Forming --- Was--->Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser? lcdpublishing 2006-08-08 11:19:21 UTC Re: Vacuum Forming --- Was--->Lights and lenses, the poor mans laser?