CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Dotmaster

Posted by caudlet
on 2006-08-20 10:07:33 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron Carter" <cac@...> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Is there anyone out there with experience in modifying the Dotmaster
> SMDU 5000/5001 for drilling and/or milling PCB's.
> I have acquired this machine for parts but found that after a few small
> fixes, everything appears to work.
> It is a teachable x,y,z robot used for applying adhesive or solder
> paste to SMD PCB's.
>
> Thanks Cameron.

I bet you would be ahead to sell the Dotmaster if it is working and
buy the parts to build a PCB milling table. Most tables with
ballscrews (or even low backlash nuts and acme screws) and steppers
can hold the tolerances you need for PCB.

I suspect there won't be a lot of knowledge out there on this
particular machine so you will have to "wing" it, as we say. You will
have to scrap a lot of th electronics and it proabably has it's own
embedded controller and drives that won't talk the conventional step
and direction we are all used to. If you are lucky it will take
conventional g-code input serially so you could use it with some of
the common CAM software like SheetCAM.

Discussion Thread

Cameron Carter 2006-08-20 08:49:05 UTC Dotmaster caudlet 2006-08-20 10:07:33 UTC Re: Dotmaster