CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for?

on 2006-08-29 08:07:05 UTC
If everything is working, then just having a manual mill would be a
great addition to one's shop.

On a manual mill, one moved the table into the center then snugs the
lock ever so slightly, then runs the the table to the end. if it
binds before it reaches the end, the table has worn. the closer to
the end, the less wear.

If you have the room for two machines, it is a good price.

If you want a more CNC ready machine, look for a Series II CNC machine.

A couple years ago the strategety was to phone around to all the
machine shops to see if anyone has one. At one time, they were
getting rid of them for machining centers.

IF you have not figured a budget for the conversion, get prices for
the whole ball screw kit and the whole stepper/power supply side.

for a Series II, you probably only need the power supply, so your
purchase price would be the value of a manual plus ball screws.
Although, some on here said that the Series II might actually sell for
less than a manual if the electronics are shot.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Stevenson" <john@...> wrote:

> > Hello group!
> >
> > I've been looking for a CNC victim mill for a few years and came
> > across a Bridgeport on Craigslist for 650 near Seattle. I'm going to
> > go look at it tomorrow. What should I be looking for?
> > I've only worked on lathes, mills are a new to me. It seems like they
> > might have different kinds of problems.
> >
> > It has hydraulic cylinders in place of screws and handwheels for the X
> > and Y travel.
> >
> > Also wondering about moving the thing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
> >

> Sounds like a Moog Hydrapoint.
> If so they are more trouble to convert than a manaul mill by the
time you have bought ball screws and maschined up for mountings.

> I'd seriously keep looking.
>
> John S.

Discussion Thread

John Stevenson 2006-08-28 23:43:26 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? Paul Amaranth 2006-08-29 04:17:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? turbulatordude 2006-08-29 08:07:05 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? Lucas 2006-08-29 11:12:41 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? John Delaney 2006-08-29 19:12:16 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for?