CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for?

Posted by Lucas
on 2006-08-29 11:12:41 UTC
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the hydraulic series-1 and wait to
find a mill with broken or obsolete controls.

That one is Orange County CA seems like a great deal with the
electronic positioners/motors in place already. Npt sure how much
shipping or truck rental usually runs, but I'm afraid getting the
thing to Seattle would be too much $$. One should come up around here
sooner or later.

Thanks again for the advice!

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Paul Amaranth <paul@...> wrote:

> That also seems a little high for a Hydrapoint. They were selling for
> around $400 at auction four or five years ago. I guess scrap prices
> have gone up.
>
> If you check out the practical machinist board in the for sale section,
> there's a fellow in California that has a BTC-1 he wants to sell. I
> think he'd take any reasonable offer (i.e. anything more than scrap).
> That's a pretty decent machine as-is, but you can always retrofit if
> you want.
>
> Comes with a complete set of manuals and an assortment of toolholders.
> If you buy it, you can lend me the manuals for copying :-) And if you
> retrofit, you can sell me the old controls, so it's a no-lose deal :-)
>
> No financial interest, but I have been trying to get him to scrap it
> so I can get the manuals and controls :-) It's too far for me to
> ship the whole machine.
>
> If you're interested, drop me a note and I'll send you his e-mail.
>
> Paul
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 07:42:32AM +0100, John Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > > Hello group!
> > >
> > > I've been looking for a CNC victim mill for a few years and came
> > > across a Bridgeport on Craigslist for 650 near Seattle. I'm going to
> > > go look at it tomorrow. What should I be looking for?
> > > I've only worked on lathes, mills are a new to me. It seems like
they
> > > might have different kinds of problems.
> > >
> > > It has hydraulic cylinders in place of screws and handwheels for
the X
> > > and Y travel.
> > >
> > > Also wondering about moving the thing.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
> > >

> > Sounds like a Moog Hydrapoint.
> > If so they are more trouble to convert than a manaul mill by the
time you have bought ball screws and maschined up for mountings.

> > I'd seriously keep looking.
> >
> > John S.
> >

> --
> Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
> Aurora Group, Inc. | Security, Systems & Software
> paul@... | Unix & Windows

Discussion Thread

John Stevenson 2006-08-28 23:43:26 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? Paul Amaranth 2006-08-29 04:17:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? turbulatordude 2006-08-29 08:07:05 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? Lucas 2006-08-29 11:12:41 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for? John Delaney 2006-08-29 19:12:16 UTC Re: Bridgeport for CNC, what to look for?