CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit

on 2006-09-25 17:48:06 UTC
One comment about MachineMate. At one time I was pursuing providing MachineMate as a control retrofit for some of my customers machines. Prior to this I had done several retrofits with several different types of controls. In addition to retrofits, I have probably done every conceivable troubleshooting and repair to mills and lathes (15 years of working on these machines). I have programmed both mills and lathes in G code and conversational. Despite all this, MachineMate insisted that I spend a week at their facility to learn their system before I would be allowed to sell and install it. I have choosen to pursue other options. I obviously can learn and successfully execute control retrofits on my own.

On the plus side, I think the MachineMate is as good a system as many that are out there, the people are machine tool knowledgable, friendly and professional.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: vrsculptor
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 7:30 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit

Harko,
I'll grant that the Machinemate CNC product is probably a workable
solution but I fail to see why it is clearly a better solution on a
simple machine than Mach3 with Gecko drives. In terms of performance
I'm sure that they are both capable of driving the machine at
acceptable rates and in terms of features Mach3 probably surpasses the
original Heidenhain controller and I'm pretty sure that Mach3 posts
are available for most CAM packages.

I'm not clear on why the Mach3/Gecko solution is not equal to or
superior to the Machinemate in terms of long term life and support.
The components of a Mach3/Gecko solution are a PC, XP, Mach3 software,
breakout board and 3 Gecko drives. The total retail cost of of these
componentrs is around $900 and many people have done it for hundreds
less by recycling an existing PC/XP. A full set of hardware excluding
a PC is another $500 for a total cost of $1400. The configuratioin is
so simple that if the machine stops working on a Sunday night it can
be diagnosed and fixed by in house talent in a matter of hours. There
are only 7 components.

I'm not sure that the same could be said for the Machinemate solution.

I can't comment on the complexity of installation. The wokability of
Mach3/Gecko installation has been demonstrated by the thousands of
successful installations by hobbiests. By doing your own conversion
you will understand how to fix it. I don't know how/who installs the
Machinemate.

As I said, both are workable solutions. If cost and maintenance are
the deciding factor I think Mach3 is a better solution.

Roger

PS. I'm not affiliated with Gecko or Artsoft. I've been using both
successfully for over 5 years.

> best way to retrofit the Heidenhain would be a Machinemate CNC if
you want
> performance and long term support.
>
> Harko
>
> On 9/24/06, Jim Fleig <jim@...> wrote:
> >
> > Heidenhain had at one time a very low flat fee to fix older
controls.
> > I learned this when one of my customers asked me to repair a
> > Heidenhain control. I called Heidenhain and, at that time (3 - 4
> > years ago), they quoted a flat fee of about $500.00 if the control was
> > sent to them to fix anything that was wrong. I advised my customer to
> > send their control to Heidenhain as I would end up billing them more
> > in onsite costs to repair the control.
> >
> > Here is the contact information I have:
> >
> > 800 233-0388 http://www.heidenhain.com
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "rs1626" <rs1626@> wrote:
> > >
> > > i have a 3 axis knee mill with scale feedback drives and servo
> > motors
> > > are working fine has old heidenhein control that no longer functions
> > > what do you all think the best way to retrofit neww control
would be?

rs1626 2006-09-06 18:17:48 UTC 3 axis retrofit Jim Fleig 2006-09-24 18:21:36 UTC Re: 3 axis retrofit Harko Schwartz 2006-09-24 20:23:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit Mark Vaughan 2006-09-25 00:32:59 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit vrsculptor 2006-09-25 04:32:55 UTC Re: 3 axis retrofit rs1626@a... 2006-09-25 07:23:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit Jim Fleig - CNC Services 2006-09-25 17:48:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit Harko Schwartz 2006-09-25 18:56:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3 axis retrofit