CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ini file location on Sherline EMC

timgoldstein wrote:

>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:
> That software is AWFULLY old, probably 2002-3. There has been a
>LOT of
>

>>advance in EMC2 since then.
>>

>Jon,
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I am really not sure what version/build Sherline is using. It is a
>relatively new setup. The customer had a Linux tech in to help him
>get it on the network. The tech said that it is on Debian (sic?) not
>Red Hat. So I don't know if it is a newer build.
>
>I honestly think that Sherline is tarnishing there reputation by
>supplying an EMC/Linux solution and then not having the staff to
>support it. They seem to feel that pocketing the customers money and
>then telling them to get the support from the web groups is
>acceptable.

Yes, this is appalling! They apparently had a bad experience with a guy
they hired a couple years ago, but you can't sell a software-related product
without somebody in house to support the customers. And, the most basic
kind of support would really take care of 90+% of the user's problems. In
fact, they don't need, or maybe even WANT, a Linux 'guru'. What they ought
to have is a guy who is just generally computer-literate, who has a couple
Linux books on his desk, and has done a couple installs and machine
configurations. He also needs to know G-code and a CAD/CAM package
or two. I'm pretty amazed to hear they don't have anyone who can even
give simple instructions. On the other hand, a number of Linux install
packages have AMAZINGLY bad utilities to set up networking, and it has
actually gone BACKWARDS. Red Hat had a network config program that
was VERY basic, but it actually worked in most cases. The Debian-based
system Paul Corner uses for his BDI systems seems to have NO built-in
configuration program outside of the main install script, or at least I
haven't
been able to find it. So, if you don't have your network cable plugged in
when you do the install from CD, you will have no network, and have to
configure all the files manually. I have a somewhat oddball home network
configuration anyway, and have learned how to do the net config myself.
But, it is still a bit of a pain.

I digress on this, but what I was intending to convey was that Sherline
shouldn't
really be responsible for supporting Linux network configuration
topics. The
BDI or other install system ought to do a bit better at this. (I'm not
saying this
is Paul Corner's fault, either. Linux just ought to have better
utilities for this,
and maybe they do, I just don't know about it.)

But, if Sherline can't tell you what file has the step resolution
setting, that is
pretty bad. Fortunately, there is a very active support group at

emc-users@...

timgoldstein 2006-10-18 08:45:33 UTC ini file location on Sherline EMC Jon Elson 2006-10-18 10:26:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ini file location on Sherline EMC timgoldstein 2006-10-18 13:11:58 UTC Re: ini file location on Sherline EMC Jon Elson 2006-10-18 19:30:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ini file location on Sherline EMC Keith Bowers 2006-10-19 07:50:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ini file location on Sherline EMC