CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter

Posted by caudlet
on 2006-12-11 07:42:01 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "eng8248" <eng8248@...> wrote:

> I am in the research process of building a CNC Plasma Cutter. From a
> Software aspect, I need a software to convert an image file, such as
> JPEG or BMP, into a DXF file to be inputted into I_Deas CAD software.
> I am also in need of a software that converts a DXF file into G&M Code
> to be inputted into the controller. I wasn't sure if there's such a
> software available, or will I have to write a post-processor to do the
> job for me? Cost is not an issue at the moment, because I am currently
> just comparing different software packages.
> I'd appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences.
> Anne

There is no magic bitmap to vector converter. The auto trace software
out there will work okay on simple bitmaps but still leave you with a
lot of cleanup to get to a usable plasma cut file. The lower the
resolution of the bitmap the more ragged the conversion. The more
complex the bitmap the more hours you will spend cleaning it up. The
plasma prcess needs simple and smooth objects. Sometimes it's more
about what you leave out than put in. In the end we end up
handtracing 99% of our non-vector source art. Also you are WAY ahead
to start out with vector objects to begin with. There are thousands
of stock vector (high quality) files at www.vectorart.com. You will
find that a good drawing tool (rather than CAD) wil work a lot better
for decorative plasma and sign work (text, logos, etc). We use
CorelDraw for all base artwork. Imports dozens of vector formats and
exports DXF and PLT files.

Once you have the artwork you convert that to DXF and then use a CAM
program like SheetCAM to define the toolpath and pierce cycles you
need to cut plasma. SheetCAM is a bargain at $159.00.

It outputs G&M code.

Tom Caudle
www.CandCNC.com
www.FourhillsDesigns.com

Five years of decorative plasma cutting.

Discussion Thread

eng8248 2006-12-10 19:22:43 UTC Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter John Hansford 2006-12-10 19:55:17 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter turbulatordude 2006-12-10 20:36:26 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter Lester Caine 2006-12-10 23:58:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter caudlet 2006-12-11 07:42:01 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter al5502 2006-12-11 11:45:38 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter