CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter

Posted by al5502
on 2006-12-11 11:45:38 UTC
There is a way to do convertion to coordinates or G-codes within
Deltacad. It provides very high-level functions within macro for this.
The rest of the macro is done in basic.
For example it took me about 15 minuts to extract coordinates of the
circles and points into the file, which is sufficient for my
application (punching). I think it also will be very easy to do this
for the lines and other objects.
Alex

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "eng8248" <eng8248@> wrote:
> >
> > I am in the research process of building a CNC Plasma Cutter. From a
> > Software aspect, I need a software to convert an image file, such as
> > JPEG or BMP, into a DXF file to be inputted into I_Deas CAD software.
> > I am also in need of a software that converts a DXF file into G&M
Code
> > to be inputted into the controller. I wasn't sure if there's such a
> > software available, or will I have to write a post-processor to do
the
> > job for me? Cost is not an issue at the moment, because I am
currently
> > just comparing different software packages.
> > I'd appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences.
> > Anne
> >
> There is no magic bitmap to vector converter. The auto trace software
> out there will work okay on simple bitmaps but still leave you with a
> lot of cleanup to get to a usable plasma cut file. The lower the
> resolution of the bitmap the more ragged the conversion. The more
> complex the bitmap the more hours you will spend cleaning it up. The
> plasma prcess needs simple and smooth objects. Sometimes it's more
> about what you leave out than put in. In the end we end up
> handtracing 99% of our non-vector source art. Also you are WAY ahead
> to start out with vector objects to begin with. There are thousands
> of stock vector (high quality) files at www.vectorart.com. You will
> find that a good drawing tool (rather than CAD) wil work a lot better
> for decorative plasma and sign work (text, logos, etc). We use
> CorelDraw for all base artwork. Imports dozens of vector formats and
> exports DXF and PLT files.
>
> Once you have the artwork you convert that to DXF and then use a CAM
> program like SheetCAM to define the toolpath and pierce cycles you
> need to cut plasma. SheetCAM is a bargain at $159.00.
>
> It outputs G&M code.
>
> Tom Caudle
> www.CandCNC.com
> www.FourhillsDesigns.com
>
> Five years of decorative plasma cutting.

Discussion Thread

eng8248 2006-12-10 19:22:43 UTC Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter John Hansford 2006-12-10 19:55:17 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter turbulatordude 2006-12-10 20:36:26 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter Lester Caine 2006-12-10 23:58:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter caudlet 2006-12-11 07:42:01 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter al5502 2006-12-11 11:45:38 UTC Re: Image to DXF Converter & DXF to G-Code Converter