CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Enco/Sargon Scale Problem

Posted by Darren Clark
on 2007-01-08 20:13:09 UTC
The reader head might be out of alignment. Most scales I work with
(Renishaw, Zeiss, Brown and Sharpe) the reader head must be aligned with
the scale to work correctly. I know absolutely nothing about your setup
(are scales are glass, metal tape, or glue backed tape? Or the reader
head, analog, digital signals, or optical?). You might want to try
playing with the alignment of the reader first. Note though, if the head
does not have rollers or slider pads that ride on the scale it should
not touch or press against the scale. Some digital pictures would help
in identifying what you have.

Hope this helps a bit.
Darren Clark

Randy Jacobs wrote:

> (This was originally posted to Rec.Crafts.Metalwor king and they
> suggested I post here)
>
> I've done it now. The cross slide on my lathe has been giving me
> problems. I hesitated to do anything because it meant that I had to
> remove the DRO scale. My cross slide is now working like new. But even
> though I handled the scale as if it were nitroglycerin, my worst fears
> have come true. When I reassembled everything, the read out now reads
> 0.000" no mater what the position on the cross slide is in. The other
> scale, that I didn't touch, works fine, as does the receiving unit.
>
> I was not aware that Sargon is no longer in business. Now what do I
> do? Anyone have an idea on how I can fix this thing? I really don't
> have a budget for a new DRO.
>
> The scale itself is a Sargon LG330-8. The system is Enco (Sargon
> model 625) Are scales of different brands interchangeable?
>

> I have now taken the scale apart. Knowing very little about DRO's,
> everything looked OK. There were no broken or loose parts. There was
> surprisingly very little swarf or grime inside. I did find a broken
> orange wire. I soldered it back together, put everything back together
> and no change, The read out still shows zeros.
>
> While apart I noticed that the spring on the head assembly held the
> read head to the base. The spring is quite stiff. It seems to me that
> the spring should push the head toward the glass.
>
> I would appreciate any help from this group.
>
> TIA
>
> Jay Cups

Randy Jacobs 2007-01-08 19:41:17 UTC Enco/Sargon Scale Problem Darren Clark 2007-01-08 20:13:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Enco/Sargon Scale Problem Dan Mauch 2007-01-09 08:58:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Enco/Sargon Scale Problem Randy Jacobs 2007-01-09 15:12:12 UTC Re: Enco/Sargon Scale Problem Darren Clark 2007-01-09 16:21:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Enco/Sargon Scale Problem Randy Jacobs 2007-01-11 06:56:35 UTC Re: Enco/Sargon Scale Problem- Hopefully the end