CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home

on 2007-01-10 14:45:45 UTC
One thing mentioned in the New Scientist article that should get everyone's
attention is the parallel drawn to how the home PC drove an entire
revolution in computing, moving things out of million-dollar mainframes into
small business and the home.

There's an even more important parallel is what was made possible with a
free software compiler gcc, which was largely one man's effort. It made the
entire open-source effort possible, stripping compiler writers of revenue
from library license fees, driving software development tools into the hands
of anyone that wanted them. And so we ended up with Linux.

While there's plenty of disparaging noise made about Linux, it is a major
thorn in Microsoft's (all of them, really) side, literally forcing them into
accelerated development and R&D just to stay ahead of what can be had for
free. It also kept them from dominating the Internet server market. So
everyone benefits from the pioneers' efforts even if they don't use the free
product.

So be proud of your efforts to wring all the profits out of the
manufacturing and toolmaking industry by giving it away for free -- it makes
the breed better.

All we need now is someone who can do for mechanical (and electrical) design
tools what Stallman did for software design tools.

Dennis Schmitz 2007-01-09 17:01:00 UTC Fab@Home Dennis Schmitz 2007-01-09 17:11:37 UTC Re: Fab@Home Graham Stabler 2007-01-09 18:13:56 UTC Re: Fab@Home Sebastien Bailard 2007-01-10 00:19:18 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home Phil Mattison 2007-01-10 08:38:10 UTC Re: Fab@Home Sebastien Bailard 2007-01-10 10:52:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home Dennis Schmitz 2007-01-10 14:45:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home Pete Brown (YahooGroups) 2007-01-10 18:43:35 UTC RepRap (was RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home) Sebastien Bailard 2007-01-10 19:16:40 UTC Re: RepRap (was RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home) Jon Elson 2007-01-10 19:51:11 UTC Re: RepRap (was RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home) Pete Brown (YahooGroups) 2007-01-11 05:44:57 UTC RE: RepRap (was RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home)