CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RepRap (was RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fab@Home)

on 2007-01-10 18:43:35 UTC
I don't get the self-replication aspect.

I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that no machine can replicate itself due to
work envelope restrictions and compounding errors.

For example, if you have a machine with a 5x5 work envelope, the leadscrews
or at least the ways would be larger than that, and couldn't be replicated
in a single piece. If they were multi-piece, they'd be too inaccurate.

And even if you get past that, the inaccuracies in the machine (only
theoretical machines will ever be perfect) will be compounded much like
copying from an audio or video tape which was copied from a tape which was
copied from a tape leaves you with a noisy crappy tape :) This will be true
whether the limitations are design limitations (like low res) or errors
(like backlash).

I looked all around the reprap site and saw no reference to this, so forgive
me if this is a FAQ.

while it certainly looks like there is some competition / animosity between
the two groups, it is obvious to me that neither is a good or usable machine
at this point. The resolution is so low as to make them good for
experimenting only. Perhaps in a few (machine) generations they'll have a
higher resolution, but I think you'll quickly run into a wall. There are
reasons the high-res commercial units cost so much. It would be nicer if the
two groups pooled ideas, but just because something doesn't follow the
free/open source mantras doesn't mean that the creators are evil :)

Pete

Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
(wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

_____