CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Ballscrew Backlash

Posted by Peter Reilley
on 2007-01-24 13:13:10 UTC
One thing that you might try is to separate the backlash
in the ballscrew from the backlash in the thrust bearing.

You could mount your indicator so that it touches
the hub of the pulley on the X axis. Move the motor
back and forth by hand. If the surface of the hub
is smooth then you will measure the backlash of
those bearings. Alternatively you could pull and
push the table and watch for movement of the indicator.

On the Y axis it is easy to indicate off the end of the
ball screw.

Backlash due to warn or misadjusted thrust bearings
will be constant across the entire travel of the axis.
Warn ballscrews are likely to be the worst in the center.

You have done a spectacular job of cleaning up
you old Boss, I am very impressed.

Pete.