CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Machining Strategy ?

on 2007-01-29 16:29:00 UTC
This topic is a little close to the edge, as it is not how to build a
machine, but it is still on the learning side....

We do try to keep away from speeds and feeds and such....

As for some pointers,

There is a place called the release point. a point (height) at which
the drill and other cutters will clear the top of the part and all the
clamps.

If every retraction you do is to or above the release point, then you
will save many headaches about snapping cutters that contact clamps.

I think the other really obvious thing is to not cut the perimiter of
a part and let it fall free, before doing ALL the bits inside !

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "renwicksteam" <john@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Newbie to CNC (mill)
>
> Got the Smid book to learn Gcode, but what I could do with is more
> knowledge of 'Machining Strategy'
>
> Whats Waterline, pencil clean up, how to decide on best step over and
> all the things that I dont yet know that I need to know.
>
> With my manual mill I just do what feels right & modify my actions as
> I go along. With the cnc I'm going to need to do a lot more planning
> in advance.
>
> The Smid book will help me learn how to tell the machine what do do,
> but I first need to know what it is I'm gong to tell it...If you see
> what I mean <g>
>
> I'm sure that trial & error & error & error is a good way to learn,
> but it would be good to have a better idea of where to start my errors
> from and some slight clue of what I'm doing would be good before I
> drown in chips.
>
> Not looking for lots of detailed advice...Will undoubtedly have lots
> of specific questions when I've more idea what I'm doing. Really
> asking for some good book titles & pointers to websites (goggle has'nt
> come up with what I'm looking for yet)
>
> ...or maybe theres a better group to ask this question ?
>

> Many Thanks
>
> John

Discussion Thread

renwicksteam 2007-01-29 13:22:01 UTC Machining Strategy ? Phil Mattison 2007-01-29 16:03:32 UTC Re: Machining Strategy ? turbulatordude 2007-01-29 16:29:00 UTC Re: Machining Strategy ?