CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 10 TPI Ballscrew

on 2007-02-16 12:07:02 UTC
If the intention is occasional use via the steppers, one thing to
consider is replacing the worn screws with new ones. That due to the
issue of ball screw being easily back driven. In other words even if
you could find 10TPI ball screws you would likely be disappointed with
them when the machine is used manually.

The other option is to go to a full CNC machine and use the CNC controls
to "manually" run things around. If one becomes proficient with CNC
you will be surprised at how useful this is and how quickly you can get
things done. For some things like Stainless and other fast work
hardening materials you do have to be careful,but for general machining
letting the CNC controls do the "manual" moves for you is A-OK.

Dave

qwerty5847 wrote:

> I would like to add steppers to my mill/drill for occasional use and
> still use it manually. The 10 TPI lead screws are worn and need to be
> replaced but it seems 10 TPI ballscrews are not easy to find and I
> would think 5 TPI would be too course for manual use. Any suggestions
> would be much appreciated.

Discussion Thread

qwerty5847 2007-02-16 09:30:40 UTC 10 TPI Ballscrew Dan Mauch 2007-02-16 09:42:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 10 TPI Ballscrew David A. Frantz 2007-02-16 12:07:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 10 TPI Ballscrew Bill 2007-02-16 15:56:12 UTC Re: 10 TPI Ballscrew