CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 5 wire color codes ?

on 2007-02-23 16:21:54 UTC
At 04:15 PM 2/23/2007, you wrote:

>I have a couple 5 wire motors from MPJA
>
>they are Shinano Kenshi
>STP-57D0204-02
>
>and also listed as 127K86640
>
>any idea what the color code for the wires might be ?

No, but that is a UNIPOLAR stepper. Get a DMM and measure the
resistance between any two wires. Now check any other two wires. If
the resistances are equal, you have found all four ends of the
star. If they are not, one will be 1/2 of the other. Chose either
end and measure to the remaining wire. If it is the 1/2 value, you
have the centertap, if not, you just let go of the centertap.

Phasing can be tricky, but you now have the centertap and know where
the ends of the star are. NEVER CHANGE HOOKUPS UNDER POWER! Your
driver will go away.

Hooking the centertap to +<small voltage like 3.3V> ground one wire,
now a second and see what the shaft does. If it doesn't move, you
have two ends of one coil. If it does, you now have two coil
ends. Open the wire you just grounded and ground another. The same
rules apply, either you have both ends of one coil by now, or both
ends of the other! Once you have both ends of one coil and the
center tap, all that is left is the two ends of one coil (phase).

How's that for simple! I admit to being very lazy.

David G. LeVine
Nashua, NH 03060