CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 5 wire color codes ?

on 2007-02-23 19:19:23 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine"
<dlevine@...> wrote:

> At 04:15 PM 2/23/2007, you wrote:
>
> >I have a couple 5 wire motors from MPJA
> >
> >they are Shinano Kenshi
> >STP-57D0204-02
> >
> >and also listed as 127K86640
> >
> >any idea what the color code for the wires might be ?
>
> No, but that is a UNIPOLAR stepper. Get a DMM and measure the
> resistance between any two wires. Now check any other two wires. If
> the resistances are equal, you have found all four ends of the
> star. If they are not, one will be 1/2 of the other. Chose either
> end and measure to the remaining wire. If it is the 1/2 value, you
> have the centertap, if not, you just let go of the centertap.
>
> Phasing can be tricky, but you now have the centertap and know where
> the ends of the star are. NEVER CHANGE HOOKUPS UNDER POWER! Your
> driver will go away.
>
> Hooking the centertap to +<small voltage like 3.3V> ground one wire,
> now a second and see what the shaft does. If it doesn't move, you
> have two ends of one coil. If it does, you now have two coil
> ends. Open the wire you just grounded and ground another. The same
> rules apply, either you have both ends of one coil by now, or both
> ends of the other! Once you have both ends of one coil and the
> center tap, all that is left is the two ends of one coil (phase).
>
> How's that for simple! I admit to being very lazy.
>

> David G. LeVine
> Nashua, NH 03060

Thanks David,

I found the center tap right out of the gate, but was having a bit of
a figure-figure trying to figure how to determine what other 2 wires
are on the common coils.

Now I can see that when you have the two common wires, the shaft will
not spin with the application of power. only when a wire from one of
the other coils gets power will the motor step.

Thanks.

Dave