CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cam making....

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2007-03-25 05:37:45 UTC
I've plotted many cams, not with a DTI, but from the tappets, lifters, or
valves themselves. We used to use vernier timing pulleys and spend hours
getting the cam timed spot on, but most only plotted one lobe, plot all of
them and you get quite a surprise. I used to build many performance engines,
computer model them for the drag strip guys and for the aircraft industry,
and broke quite a few once believed power limits for a particular engine.

It is not uncommon to find manufacturers cams that are 3 or 4 degrees out on
some lobes compared to others, and 20 thou deviation in lift at the valve.

Some of this of course will be engine block machining errors, is the cam
square to the center line of the block, are all the lifter ports in a
straight line, and at the same angle etc.

Error on lifter bores isn't too bad, but again a couple of thou error on the
cam centre line is not uncommon, and blocks that are several thou taller at
one end than the other.

Strangely all the performance blocks I have built have been very square, but
my colleagues seem to find plenty that were out of square and quite a few
heavily warped blocks.

On BL A series blocks it is not uncommon to find a 5 thuo bend being applied
to the crank, the crank on these is so weak it seems to survive unless you
tune the engine. 5 thoughh on a V8 will take the crank out quite quickly, I
was brought a 400 Pontiac V8 block that was eating cranks, more than fuel,
the journals were over 20 thou out of line, I think it had been cooked at
some stage.

So what does all this mean. I suppose in a production block the tolerances
vary that much, that a little error in the cam is not uncommon. For a race
engine, it is nice to have everything as accurate as possible, nice square
block, same height at both end, align bore all the journals etc., but again
a little cam error won't make that much difference. Normally the lift is so
hi, a few extra or fewer thou won't make much difference, and the angles are
normally fiddled with in 10 degree changes, so one degrees which is a pretty
big increment to a machinist won't make that much difference. The big
differences come from bore and deck heights, and matching all the air flow
paths to get it in and out of the engine as fast as possible whilst
maintaining even velocity throughout a cross section of the track.

For cams in all if you do the best job you can, it will most likely be OK

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D. B.Eng. M0VAU

Managing Director

Vaughan Industries Ltd, reg in UK no 2561068

Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH, UK.
Phone/Fax 44 1872 561288

RSGB DRM111(Cornwall)

_____