CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need help with O-scope

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2007-04-14 13:35:19 UTC
One bit I wrote below is confusing.

I wrote 'checking that the non inverted and inverted are the
exact opposite to each other, including any noise'

There are two types of noise, the normal one being harmless in a
differential system.

If A is positive, the inv A should be negative, or opposite at 0V
(Differential signals can be centred around 0V but for encoders in these
systems are typically centred around 2.5V). Noise that is OK would push both
traces in the same direction, 5V and 0V with 0.1V of common mode noise,
become 5.1V and 0.1V. Since both carry the noise, the difference between is
the same (5V) and noise exists no more.

There is also differential mode noise, if you get noise in opposite
directions (i.e. 0.1V noise becomes 4.9V and 0.1V), this noise is a problem
since 5V signal has now dropped to 4.8volts. This is normally caused by
another wire like the motor servo wire coming between the twisted pairs and
will be a problem. It can also be a short in one side of a differential pair
to ground, or damaged line driver in the encoder, but you will see that the
traces are no longer opposite when this happens.

This is a little difficult to explain without picture but I hope it covers
it.

Regs Mark

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D. B.Eng. M0VAU

Managing Director

Vaughan Industries Ltd, reg in UK no 2561068

Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH, UK.
Phone/Fax 44 1872 561288

RSGB DRM111(Cornwall)

_____