CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 3D printer

on 2007-04-26 17:06:39 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, NEVILLE WEBSTER
<nevillewebster@...> wrote:

> If you need some further info drop me a line. I still have some
contacts who could do the work for you. Including the scanning .

> Subject to viewing your pont cloud data and discussing your
objectives - maybe i coudl help I still have some contacts.

> Neville

Hi Neville, the scanning has been done and it was done using x-ray
tomography, multiple x-rays are taken as the sample is rotated. The
images are processed to produce a set of bitmaps representing the
cross-sections. I have written some software that uses threshholding
and region growing to create point clouds in 3D.

The point clouds however are volumetric and the points do not just lie
on the surface, I'm working on a hollowing algorithm to cut down on
the number of points but the results will never be anything like those
produced in most engineering situations.

I'm not looking to pay someone to do this, you need to know what you
are looking at to even guess how the results should be. I have seen
some point cloud software for medical use that might be suitable but
this is a sideline to the main project (insect inspired hovering
flying machines) and the cash is not available.

It just struck me that printing what I had without even touching a 3D
model might provide the most accessible way of seeing the structure.

My excuse for posting on this list is the possibility of hacking a
printer to do this as there is no need for complicated toolpath
planning I'd just print bitmaps and lay down more starch on each layer.

Cheers,

Graham

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2007-04-26 08:40:32 UTC 3D printer NEVILLE WEBSTER 2007-04-26 09:43:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D printer Graham Stabler 2007-04-26 17:06:39 UTC Re: 3D printer