CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Dual shaft dc motor supplier

on 2007-08-04 23:10:07 UTC
You really need to take some time and read the instruction manuals for some
of the CNC servo controllers. Your presumption of servo controller
simplicity may leave you very frustrated if you try building your own at
this point. You may wish to further research the HOW and WHY of PID
functionality within the servo controllers. This will shed a great deal of
light on just how tricky these designs can get.

Your question of price is understandable but don't let motor prices mislead
or deceive you. Understand that DC motors are NOT the same as true servo
motors. Although, DC motors can provide very good results if the
differences are considered and accounted for. First, stepper and DC/Servo
motors, at least in smaller sizes, can be comparably priced. Smaller sizes
are suitable for most hobby-sized mills. Second, a good 4-axis, bipolar,
microstepping stepper controller costs between $150 and $200. A decent
4-axis servo controller setup can cost $600 to $1500 to start.

Thanks,
Andrey Lipavsky
Essex Jewelers
490 E. McMillan St.