CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How to Program a CAD / G-code/Machine commands freesource code?

on 2007-08-23 20:36:44 UTC
I thought the point was he wanted to understand the science and over come it, he listed his objectives, and they discribe what steps are involved accurately. If he does one it would be great. He can then decide to go on or stop. An understanding of the fundamentals is great, and we can help. If he feels he is overwhelmed he can give up. Is everybody here trying to sell software or hardware. I've noticed that some sights are completely sales orientated. That is like an infomercial, and that sucks for free thinkers.
Peter Rosenholm

art <fenerty@...> wrote:
>>If you want to spend the next year of your life writing a real-time
CAD to Machine controller (provided you are a good C level programmer)
then you will certainly have something to put on your resume.

A year? Wow, that woudl be quick. :-)

A realtime controller, at least under windows will take 3 years to write. I know, I did one. :) ,
its never ends really, 6 years now and still growing..

It took about 10,000 hours of programming, but to be fair, good operation will happen at
about the 4000 hour mark. Windows wouldnt be a good idea, unless you like to torture
yourself, real-time under windows is hard to say the least. To my knowledge only 4 programs
do it. and only 2 of those are cnc. ( Indexer and Mach3). Each uses a different method, each with
pluses and minuses, each requires alot of study of CPU interfacing within the windows kernal.
Its great to work in if you like the colour blue.. youll see alot of it..

But if you want good code, look to emc, its the best tutorial in the world on how to write a cnc
program, but will take you a few weeks to truly understand how it functions in all its various areas.
The EMC programmers are the most dedicated and selfless group you will find in the cnc world.
Reading their code, and understanding their workflow is the first , best step to understanding how
all cnc machines work. Read my manuals as well, they try to gently ease you into it, and are used all
over whether with or without mach3, simply as a starting users guide to cnc stuff.

If your intent is to send to something like a G100 or serial device, the job is much easier, and the EMC code,
being open source, is a true university of cnc programming. I think I have my doctorate in EMC, and it was
a fantastic learning experience..

Thanks,
Art
www.artofcnc.ca