CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Info for a Newbie -re stepper current

Posted by hannu
on 2007-09-10 06:04:08 UTC
Well --- I am trying to help and advise only, with this in mind ..
trying to increase the current will fail.

There are many tradeoffs and considerations in building a stepper driver.
Speed of current rise, inductance, back emf, component lifetime,
component tolerance,
component lifetime, reverse currents, ringing, grounding, etc.
My electronic skills are fairly basic, but I have been avidly following
all these threads,
well over 100.000 mails, over the last 4 years.
Otoh, I have some formal training in electronics (finnish air-force
mechanic), and over 20 years experience.

There are many very skilled individuals building and selling components
on this and related lists.
When their combined know-how and experience are not sufficient to
increase or
improve a solution, You should, imho, just trust that its not that easy.

I recommend that you get a solution that is adequate on the first try.
Many, like me, have 3-5 different drivers/steppers/combos, and have
tried most of the
commonly available solutions.
We recommend stuff based on group consensus - i.e.
we know these people support their products, we know the products are
good within their limitations,
we know they do what they say they do, we know many happy users who use
their products.
Usually, we have no commercial interest, like in this case.

I would recommend a driver with 3-5 amps capacity as a minimum.
Geckos are good, may be a bit expensive for your use.

Can you get the xylotex ? This is a good choice for may smaller
applications.
Or else get a kit-based version with a 3-5 amp limit, about 40-48 volts.
The pminmo is supposed to be good, no own experience.
You can also get kits, or an assembled kit.
Figure abut 40-60$/axis, 30 if you can get cheap components.

Best of luck, h.

stefan_sharpe wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>, "Michael Fagan"
> <woodworker88@...> wrote:
> >
> > I would make doubly sure about that 2A current limit and whether that
> will
> > work for your machine. My Taig CNC Mill runs 3A per axis using the
> Hobby
> > CNC board. If the machine were any bigger, I would probably want to
> go to
> > 5A minimum.
> >

> Good point. I had a feeling that the 2A was going to be too low- I am
> not an electronics expert, but I imagine there must be some way to re-
> calibrate the maximum current limit and then increase the spec of a
> couple of the components. This could be a challenge to start with, but
> I have been enjoying learning about electronics lately so this is
> interesting too.

stefan_sharpe 2007-09-07 07:33:21 UTC Info for a Newbie Arnie Minear 2007-09-07 08:47:01 UTC Re: Info for a Newbie hannu 2007-09-07 09:19:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Info for a Newbie stefan_sharpe 2007-09-09 15:54:19 UTC Re: Info for a Newbie Michael Fagan 2007-09-09 16:44:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Info for a Newbie stefan_sharpe 2007-09-09 23:37:47 UTC Re: Info for a Newbie hannu 2007-09-10 06:04:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Info for a Newbie -re stepper current stefan_sharpe 2007-09-10 18:03:49 UTC Re: Info for a Newbie -re stepper current