CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Running small machine without computer

Posted by John Dammeyer
on 2007-10-16 17:54:00 UTC
Hi,
As the designer of the E-Leadscrew (ELS) I can first of all say it
wouldn't work for your project. Second, I really have to agree with
Hannu in that a small form factor embedded PC is probably your best
choice. It is possible to convine a PC to boot without a keyboard or
mouse. It can run a startup batch file that runs your application.
Take advantage of the macro programming available in MACH to query
inputs, then run subroutines based on those inputs.

I too have done automation machines with dedicated processors (and have
the INTEL 66 MHz Pentium T shirt). To make 4 of something inexpensively
is not easy. Better to stay with OTS hardware. Not to say you
couldn't do this with OMRON or other PLC families even networked with
DeviceNet or CANOpen but for 4 systems... Not worth the time.

John Dammeyer

> The hwml looks really promising. There is another product,
> almost ready,
> called the e-leadscrew, that would also work.
> But its new, untried, and all the gotchas ...
>
> What fred smith says is one option ... the ncpod, but you wont save
> money, imo.
> There is a new hw coming for the mach sw, with usb interface, thats
> another (a usb stepper something).
> Geckodrives has the g100 - it could run all 4 machines in or from one
> box, and would work for your use. 500$, and one would be enough.
> I believe industrial plc´s could do this. Expensive and reliable.
>
> What I was trying to express was the the truth that every hw
> attempt to
> date on the planet has faced - 90 to 98% of the work is not in making
> the machine work and make the first movement. Its all the
> ancillary stuff.
> Please, I applaud the efforts of the various hardware developers, and
> fully support them. The only thing I am saying is that unless You
> yourself will support the product, and are willing to put the
> 100+ hours
> into it, the project will produce huge headaches.
>
> Many people on this list could do it in hardware, easily. I
> am not one
> of them. the hw costs are 10$. Making it costs 2000$, at
> hobby-price of
> 10$/hour, for a very experienced, talented designer.
> My expertise has been systems integration, not hardware design.
>
> If you want it cheap, reliable and soon, get a standard pc. It is the
> only reliable, available, cheap standardised hw platform on
> the planet.
> Another things all exotic form-factors share is the
> likelyhood that in 2
> years they will not be available, or if they are, they won´t be
> identical or compatible. This has generally occurred to every
> successful
> product on the market. And the unsuccessful ones are not on
> the market
> anymore.
>
> Good luck with your project, h.
>

> > Thanks very much...I see your points.
> >
> > It's for space saving(among other things).. It's a setup
> > to do multiple operations on the plastic block. Being
> > as high speed machining is out of reach for me, the
> > idea is an attempt to have a semi-continuous flow of
> > parts being made. No tool changing mostly...
> > I make a groove...move the part to another machine
> > to round the slot or maybe dovetail it.
> > I'm aware there are things I haven't considered
> > yet. An experiment mostly.
> >
> > I haven't been paying attention to the advancements
> > with the micro-controllers and thought I'd recalled
> > such a thing being available.
> >
> > A friend sent this link....
> > http://www.hwml.com/ <http://www.hwml.com/>
> >
> > But the tiny computers is a do-able thing as well.
> > It just seems there should be some type of flash
> > drive controller that'd execute the simplest of
> > gcode files.

> [...]

Discussion Thread

John Hansford 2007-10-16 07:22:28 UTC Running small machine without computer hannu 2007-10-16 07:58:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer Fred Smith 2007-10-16 08:33:26 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer Stephen Wille Padnos 2007-10-16 08:46:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer Dan Mauch 2007-10-16 08:51:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer John Hansford 2007-10-16 09:21:59 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer John Hansford 2007-10-16 09:22:12 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer hannu 2007-10-16 10:20:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Running small machine without computer David G. LeVine 2007-10-16 11:34:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer Jim DuBois 2007-10-16 14:45:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer John Hansford 2007-10-16 16:23:02 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer John Dammeyer 2007-10-16 17:54:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Running small machine without computer Fred Smith 2007-10-17 05:43:14 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer