CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Running small machine without computer

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2007-10-17 05:43:14 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Hansford" <kz1927@...>
wrote:

> Thanks! Fred,
>
> I think that's what I recall hearing about. I see
> references to it often. I also see that it's only
> possible to get a single one at the moment. Any
> "inside info" on how soon such a thing would be
> available?

They are available now. The retail price is $150.

1) Mach3 has a plugin that permits you to run a machine in a somewhat
limited fashion, and Art continues to procrastinate on the probing
plugin, but he says it's coming soon. ;-) Using Mach3 can get you up
and running quickly with an ncPOD.

2) The API software for the ncPOD is based on the Windows .net
framework, and is available at no charge. Microsoft has released
enough of the Visual programming tools (as free downloads) that you can
write your own interface and have little or no software expense. The
API loads into the SD card, and it should pemit you to take full
advantage of the capabilities of the ncPOD, including direct from media
running, which effectively eliminates the need for an instruction
transfer buffer. The fine detail interpolation limitation approaches
the speed at which the SDcard can be read, and the resolution of the
machine, with no fixed relation to the physical port or data transfer
rate of a host PC.

> It looks ideal by my quick look at it. I don't
> need more than 3 axis, no tool changes, no spindle
> speeds....just simple line by line gcode execution.

You will need some of the basics of a CNC machine that are provided
when there is a PC attached. There will be no display, so you will
have to have an automated and reliable method to set work zeros.
Perhaps a Zero button for each axis. A digital position readout might
be handy if it can keep up with the rapid speeds of your machine.

You should probably have a Cycle start, Feed Hold, reset, E-stop, and
probably an initialize switch. We designed our SYS-5, servo controller
to accomodate most of these capabilities so that they could eventually
be used standalone.

The gotcha in all this is that I don't know if it has been done yet.
We are itching to make it go, but just have not had time to do the
testing and development.

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

Discussion Thread

John Hansford 2007-10-16 07:22:28 UTC Running small machine without computer hannu 2007-10-16 07:58:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer Fred Smith 2007-10-16 08:33:26 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer Stephen Wille Padnos 2007-10-16 08:46:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer Dan Mauch 2007-10-16 08:51:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer John Hansford 2007-10-16 09:21:59 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer John Hansford 2007-10-16 09:22:12 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer hannu 2007-10-16 10:20:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Running small machine without computer David G. LeVine 2007-10-16 11:34:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer Jim DuBois 2007-10-16 14:45:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Running small machine without computer John Hansford 2007-10-16 16:23:02 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer John Dammeyer 2007-10-16 17:54:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Running small machine without computer Fred Smith 2007-10-17 05:43:14 UTC Re: Running small machine without computer