CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] need some TAIG help

ForestDruid wrote:
> forgive me if I ask some stupid questions guys, but I'm new to
> setting up CNC's, I figured I'd start with something easy and got a
> TAIG, but the lack of literature on the subject is making things
> difficult.
>
> To start, can I get someone to help me out and post a program using
> arcs, so that I can confirm that my post processor is translating
> correctly?

I have some programs that write G-code for simple operations
that come up frequently. You can download these as DOS
executables, or just look at the sample G-code on the web page.
See http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/gcode.html
The first one makes a bunch of arcs that "spiral" out from the
center, and then the last 4 arcs (gee, they seem to be missing
line numbers) are a finish pass at a constant radius. The
program shown there uses the radius form of arc specification,
but there is also a downloadable program that uses the I,J word
format if you prefer.
> secondly, is a TAIG capable of taking a program complete? or do I
> need to drip feed it?
The Taig is a manual machine tool, and they make a CNC ready kit
for you to put motors on it. I assume you have a MicroProto
controller, which is really Mach3, which runs on a Windows PC,
so no, you don't need to "drip feed". That was how you ran
1970's vintage CNC's that thought the only program storage
device was paper tape, and you made a PC pretend to be a paper
tape reader. (Boy, MicroProto has a SLOW web site!)
> Lastly (for now), is it correct that I need to set it up to not use
> any reference points, but to use only G1 move commands, and zero the
> workpiece manually?

What do you mean by reference points? You should be able to set
the coordinates to the part with an edge finder or other device
(electronic probe, gage blocks, wiggler) as you wish. G0 moves
are non-cutting, just to get to the next location quickly. G1,2
and 3 are cutting moves.

ForestDruid 2007-12-03 22:40:23 UTC need some TAIG help Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein 2007-12-04 09:08:40 UTC Re: need some TAIG help Jon Elson 2007-12-04 09:35:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] need some TAIG help ForestDruid 2007-12-04 13:42:23 UTC Re: need some TAIG help Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein 2007-12-04 16:06:03 UTC Re: need some TAIG help